John, Computer Specialist
Experience:  MCP, RHCE

Hi i have a toshiba laptop satellite l455-s5975 when i go to

Hi i have a toshiba laptop satellite l455-s5975 when i go to logon with my password i have used a million times i get welcome but then it immediately shows me a screen that says the following "the user profile service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded." help
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.

John :

Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your PC. I will try my best to help you.

John :

Note:-Please bookmark/add to favorites this page, use that bookmark or favorites in case you accidentally close this page during this conversation. You can also get back to this page using the email send by just answer to your email address regarding this question. There is view answer button in the email click on that and you can open this page

John :

Sir/Ma’am please provide the following details so that I can help you

1. The operating system installed in the PC.Is it windows Xp, Windows Vista, Windows 7 or windows 8

2. Which web browser are you using is it Internet explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Chrome or any other

Customer:

windows 7 chrome

John :

Thank you for the details,after this error message do you get a temporary user account with desktop screen?

Customer:

no it brings me back to original user page

Customer:

that i started with

John :

OK its not the password XXXXX it seems like your user profile is corrupted.I believe you are currently chatting to me using another PC am i correct?

Customer:

yes

John :

Is the problematic PC close to you now?

Customer:

yes

John :

have you tried booting the Toshiba PC in safe mode and then trying to login ?

Customer:

no

John :

we can try that first.

Restart the computer then press F8 repeatedly when you see the Toshiba start-up screen. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears then you will get Advance boot Menu on the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight the Safe Mode and then press ENTER.

Customer:

ok

John :

see if you boot in safe mode then try to login and let me know the status

Customer:

i did safe mode sorry i used password XXXXX hit enter which brought me to a funny desktop now what please

John :

Did it show a message which says "you are now logged into the temporary account ...."

Customer:

it just says you are logged in as safe mode

John :

ok click on start then type regedit in the search box and press enter.see if that opens registry editor window

Customer:

yes it did

John :

good.
Now go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then expand SOFTWARE then expand Microsoft then expand Windows NT then expand CurrentVersion then expand ProfileList

Customer:

done next

John :

In the left pane, look for the folder name starting with S-1-5 (SID key) followed by a long number

Customer:

there are 3long ones

John :

does any of it shows .bak in the end

Customer:

yes

John :

ok click on it then click on ProfileImagePath on the right side of registry editor

John :

i mean double click on ProfileImagePath

Customer:

then it says edit string should i click ok

John :

No check the value field and see if it shows your corrupted user account name

John :

by corrupted i meant the one that you cannot log in in normal mode

Customer:

value data says c:\Users\JOHN

John :

is john the user account you tried to log in and failed before by giving "the user profile service service failed the logon" message

Customer:

yes

John :

ok now click on the other starting with S-1-5 (SID key) that doesn't have .bak in the end

Customer:

there are 2

John :

check the first one then

John :

do the same to see the value data field and check the user name of that one

Customer:

value data = C:\Users\Temp

John :

ok check the other one

Customer:

value data=C:\Users\Sarah

John :

are those the only ones with S-1-5 (SID key)

Customer:

no there are 3 others with very short numbers

John :

not that ones.now Remove the .bak from the sid

Customer:

would you please repeat last instruction not clear

John :

sure

John :

can you see the folder name starting with S-1-5 (SID key) followed by a long number that ends with .bak

Customer:

yes

John :

does that id number matches with any of the other 2 ?

Customer:

yes except for .bakn

John :

i am getting confused.if i give you the remote access link can you open that on the problematic laptop so that i can check the id's

Customer:

i prefer not to 2 id numbers match exactly except for .bak at end

John :

how many user accounts does this laptop have?

Customer:

2

John :

one is john and other is Sarah am i correct

Customer:

mine is the administrator the other my daughter

Customer:

yes correct

John :

the id which ends with .bak shows the value data c:\Users\JOHN am i correct

Customer:

correct

John :

the other 2 ids shows 1.value data = C:\Users\Temp
2.value data=C:\Users\Sarah
am i correct

Customer:

correct

John :

rest of the id's are short ones like S-1-5-19 in profile list am i correct

Customer:

yes 3 other short ones

John :

the reason why i am asking it repeatedly is because to avoid mistakes which can cause the profile to disappear

Customer:

no problem

John :

OK now right click on the sid that have .bak in the end and click on rename then remove the .bak

John :

i repeat remove only the .bak in the end

Customer:

how do i rename

John :

Right click on the one with .bak and click on rename and remove the .bak.

Customer:

i did it next step

John :

so now that sid doesn't have .bak in the end am i correct

Customer:

correct it does have ablack rectangle around that number

John :

now select that sid that you just removed .bak and then check the value data.see if it still shows c:\Users\JOHN

Customer:

red x error it says the reg editor cannot rename the key name already exists type another name and try again

John :

seems you are doing something wrong.it will be better if i remote access to your PC and check it.you can see what all i am doing and its secured too

Customer:

ok

John :

i believe the .bak came back on the end of the id am i correct

Customer:

yes

John :

ok close the registry editor then restart the PC and this time select safe mode with networking then let me know and i will give you the remote access link

Customer:

ok

John :

thanks

John :

make sure you press F8 before the windows logon screen also make sure you select safe mode with networking

Customer:

done

John :

now see if that problematic PC have internet access

Customer:

which browser

John :

open internet explorer and see if you can open webpages in the toshiba laptop

Customer:

cant find ie however google chrome is open

John :

can you open web pages in Google chrome

Customer:

yes

John :

please type this web address http://tinyurl.com/kfhw974 (there is no space in-between the address ) the address bar of Google chrome then press enter to open it then

you get an application installation window in that click on Run. Then you will get another window in that click on join session. That will let me access your pc and check the problem. If you have any difficulty in connecting disable antivirus/firewall and try again also try the method it shows on screen connect window. Let me know once it’s connected. If you have any trouble connecting please let me know

John :

open it on the problematic pc

Customer:

ur connected

John :

yes i am

Customer:

yes

John :

OK

John :

did it start restarting ?

Customer:

yes

John :

ok now wait and let it boot to normal mode

Customer:

what was wrong and what did you exactly do to my registry please

John :

for each user account there is a profile and yours got corrupted

Customer:

now what

Customer:

how does it get corrupted please

John :

let me check if that pc have any malware in it which can cause the user corruption

John :

i will explain it on the other pc's chat

Customer:

also what did you do to my registry exactly

John :

i will explain you do not need to worry i haven't changed any of your personal files

Customer:

sure

John :

Thank you

Customer:

ok

Customer:

thanx

John :

you are welcome

Customer:

awesome

John :

Glad to know that

Customer:

ok ty

John :

you are welcome

John :

you have lot of start up items.you can remove some of it and increase the start-up speed to open desktop speed

Customer:

how

John :

For example google toolbar notifier,apple itunes even if these are disabled in the start-up it will work when you open the specific applications

John :

i will show you

Customer:

thanx

John :

you are welcome

John :

Suggestion :- It will be a good idea to back up the data to a external hard drive so that in case of hard drive failure or operating system failure you wont loose any valuable data

Customer:

thanx would it be helpful to add more memory and is it worth it?

John :

i didn't check your current memory capacity so once its booted back up i will check and let you know about it

Customer:

could i replace it myself and is it easy to do

John :

i will give you a link that shows how to add the memory module check it and see if you can do it

Customer:

computer is not logging off

John :

please wait

John :

i believe its restarting now?

Customer:

yes ty

John :

you are welcome.
According to the system specification given the Toshiba site your laptop is Configured with 2GB DDR2 (maximum capacity is 8GB)

Customer:

ty

John :

you are welcom

John :

you can upgrade the memory to 4GB in 32 bit currently you have 2GB

Customer:

is it worth it given the computers age

John :

how old is this PC ?

Customer:

at least 3years old

John :

Once your PC is booted completely then the applications starts quickly so not much need to upgrade the memory module other than you are running lots or applications or heavy graphics games

Customer:

I appreciate your advice ty

John :

you are welcome.let the scan finish then we can restart one more time to make sure everything is working fine

Customer:

did you notice any other issues as yet

Customer:

i never bsathis scan used should i use 2 month ?

John :

i didn't get you ?

Customer:

sorry,the current scan beingdone i have never used it should i use it 2x month

John :

Its ok,no need to run it

Customer:

ty

John :

you are welcome

Customer:

anything else i could do to speed up pc

John :

remove all those free anti-virus and install a paid anti-virus like Mcafee,Kaspersky,remove the applications that says it will speed up and fix the errors on the PC
Run CCleaner and malwarebytes twice in a month to keep the system clean from virus and unwanted files

Customer:

ty

John :

you are welcome

Customer:

no thanx next step please

John :

If you are satisfied with my services/answer please rate me using the options just below this chat box select the rating and click on submit that will do it some bonus will be well appreciated.Have a Great God Blessed Day. If you need any help in the future please use this link to ask for me http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john/

Customer:

thanx for the computer education you are blessed and an awesome computer ninja who is very nice

John :

Glad to know that sir.Rating options are just below this chat window

John, Computer Specialist
Experience: MCP, RHCE