Nathan, Systems Manager
Experience:  Own/operate computer networking/IT company.
59725966

Hi guys. I just stumbled onto your wonderful website. Am pretty

Hi guys. I just stumbled onto your wonderful website. Am pretty computer illiterate, but I'm trying. Just received an add to try "magic jack plus". Have also been offered to plug into the wifi account of my landlord. Question:leaving my laptop on continually....will that affect the amount that has to be paid for the internet service? Also, is this magic jack just a gimmick or should I look for a different phone provider as Bell Canada is getting too dear for my meager pension. Thank you for taking the time to read this.......Regina T.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hello Regina,

p0llinate :

A magicjack is a good option for many people, providing very low cost phone service, through your internet connection.

p0llinate :

Typically residential internet service is not capped in anyway, so if you wanted to plug the MJ into your laptop and leave it on at all times (presumably you would, so phone would be active at all times), you could certainly do that. You should not have to worry about affecting your landlords internet bill

p0llinate :

the MJ really does not use a lot of data, far less than say watching movies online.

p0llinate :

There are several comparable services to MJ, including Vonage, Ooma, and Basictalk. Vonage and Ooma are more for advanced users (more features) and cost more. BasicTalk is more comparable to MJ in features and price.

p0llinate :

All require buying the basic equipment (to plug into your computer or router, though MJ would work best in your particular situation as it will work directly with your laptop and not require physical access to the router), and then paying a monthly or annual fee.