Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

My microphone does not appear to be working.

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer – My name isXXXXX and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Can you check if the microphone is connected to correct port on the system?

Also could you provide the model/part number of this system?

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is the internal microphone. It is a Sony Vaio S Series and the number is XXXXX

Thank you for the information.

Can you please right click on the speaker icon at the bottom and chose Recording Devices and see how many does it shows?

See if it has green tick on it or is it greyed out?

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It shows one (Microphone Realtek High Definition Audio) and it has a green tick

This means that the built-in micro phone doesn't have any problems.

Can you please click Start -> type Sound Recorder -> Open it.

Click on the RED recording button, then try and speak into the mic. Once done, press the stop button and try to play. See if the mic works here.

Please also right-click on the speaker icon, chose Recording Devices then right click again within this window and ensure that the Show Recording Devices/Show Disconnected Devices are checked.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, The first time it told me the sound card was disabled but the second time it worked. I will try the microphone again in the programme I was trying to use before.

I right clicked. Show disconnected devices was checked but it did not say 'Show recording devices' anywhere

Thank you. Please try again and let me know.

Also, if the mic is working in the sound recorder, then we will need to check the program.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. The programme is Rosetta Stone. I am not sure what is going on as I haven't had problems before. Maybe they have changed their settings. I might just skype someone and see if that works.

Sally,

You may need to re-setup the microphone in Rosetta Stone.

Please Click Here for the instructions on "how you can fix this".

Also, Did the micro-phone work on the Sound Recorder?

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, and it is working on Skype. Maybe a panicked too quickly. I have just moved to a new country and the last thing I need is a problem with my computer! I will click on the link you sent.

Not a very good experience.

I am positive, we can fix the problem and get you up and running.

You may need to re-setup the microphone in Rosetta Stone as well.

Please ensure that the proper microphone is selected in Adobe Flash Player settings.

Have a look at page 2 and 3 of this manual.

Click Here To View Manual

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I think it is working now! To be honest, I think I just missed a simple question. I should just slow down and not be so quick to think that my computer is crashing! Anyway, it was very helpful to have you to guide me through the process, and I feel much better now that I know it is all working! Thanks so much for your time.

I am glad it worked Sally. If you need any help in future, i'll be here at your service.

If you could take a minute to rate my service, that will be highly appreciated.