Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience:  2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.
46034742

Lenovo G780 speakers not working

Lenovo G780 speakers not working
Category: Computer
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions. I am very sorry to hear about this complication. Just to verify your inquiry the built in speakers are not functioning and you can't hear anything out of them is this correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that is correct.

I see, when exactly did this problem first begin if you don't mind me asking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This has been a problem since Day 1, when we received the laptop. But we didn't really pursue trying to fix the problem til now.

I see so it has never made a sound at all? What about plugging in head phones do you get sound from it then? Also how long have you had the machine out of curiosity?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No sound ever. Have no headphones. Have had laptop about one year.

I see I was wanting to check and make sure the sound card was functioning by plugging speakers or headphones into the headphone jack. I can remotely check this problem out also but I am not going to sugar coat this if it didn't work fresh out of the box there is a chance of either a speaker malfunction or a sound card malfunction.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Some of the hits from my Google searches seemed to indicate that perhaps a sound driver had not been downloaded on the machine, and that I might need to download one from the Lenovo website. What do you think?

That is also one of the first options I was going to check and suggest. I am going to need the model number of the machine. Also would you prefer remote assistance or would you like me to locate the driver and have you download it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'd prefer to download the driver myself. I'm not sure how to find the model number - I looked at the label on the bottom, but don't see the word "Model". Please bear with me, as I am a rookie at all this stuff.

Not a problem it should say model no. Sometimes it's inside the battery compartment not on the battery. Sometimes it will say series.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. I went to device manager earlier, clicked on Lenovo in hardware list, and the properties, and it said Model 1037. Is this what you need? Also, is there a way for you to check to see if the sound driver is really and truly not on this machine?

In device manager you should see something that says sound. If there are no yellow explanation marks in there is a sound driver currently working on the machine. If this reinstall of the sound driver fails you may be having an actual hardware problem. I am just so very sorry you didn't get this checked out when you noticed it. Also as far as model there should be a letter for what series it is. For example Thinkpad V something like that or ideapad?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's an Essential G780. I saw no yellow marks, and I moused on each speaker pic and "sound waves" appeared. Does this help?

Yes it does please standby for one moment ok I am going to get the information standby.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK.

OK go to this link: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/default.page#

Then in that box type in Lenovo G780 then push enter. Click on audio and download the one at the top and install. It will be the one for windows 7 and let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oops. I gave you the wrong number - it's a Lenovo G770.

Same instruction you would just need to type in Lenovo G770

so go to www.lenovo.com and then at the top click on support and then download drivers and software and the type in Lenovo G770 and choose audio and it will be the one last listed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Followed your previous link, and am now on page that shows Lenovo 770 and list of drivers and software. What now? By the way, don't worry - I will rate your assistance when we're finished.

Ok do you see the one that says Audio click on that and choose Conexant Audio Driver for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - Lenovo G770 Notebook.

Keep in mind of this fails and I hope it doesn't but if it does it would sadly mean that there is either a problem with the speakers connection on the inside or the sound card.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Found file - clicked download - chose Save File (only other option was Cancel) - went to Downloads - there are two files, one with extension of "exe.part". What now?

By chance were you using firefox to download this? You may want to use internet explorer do download this it will give you the option to just run it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK - I'll give it a go with Internet Explorer and get back to you.. (Are we having fun yet?)

Oh absolutely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's running - about 15% downloaded.

Ok no problem I am standing by.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Now I'm really confused. Finished downloading and installing. Then box came up with first message that it may not have installed correctly, second message re: reinstalling, and last message: This device installed correctly. Since this was an option I clicked on it and the box went away (Finish?). Went to Google and clicked on today's graphic, which has sound (I know this from using my desktop), but NO SOUND. What now? Is there another step I need to do to activate or something?

Ok would you mind if I started a remote assistance session and had a look at this for you? If you would like me to click on this link: http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=7e2d8bb2-92ae-4d49-a116-412b9309f306

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. I'm chatting with you via Firefox, but I did the download from Internet Explorer, which is still open. Should I close Internet Explorer before we proceed?

You can if you would like to yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ready to let you take over.

Ok you will need to click on this link it should download a program: http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=7e2d8bb2-92ae-4d49-a116-412b9309f306

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Clicked link - box ask Save File or Open with something. And my Norton360 says it's not safe.

The connection is failing on my end to so that's not going to work tonight it seems they may be working on it. The only other option would be to uninstall from device manager by right clicking on everything under sound and then restarting the machine download and reinstalling the software for audio if that fails this sadly would mean you would need to have a hardware repair done on it. Now looking at the error that came up when you tried to reinstall it's looking like either bad connection to the speakers themselves or the sounds card has malfunctioned which is why it's having a hard time even installing the audio drivers on the machine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know that it's having a hard time installing -- it looks to me that I needto choose a way (Save File or Open with ??) in order to go to the next step. Am I right?

Well I know firefox would not allow it to install correctly that's why internet explorer is always recommended.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But I didn't use Firefox to install - I used Internet Explorer.

Open with and save as are two different things. Open with would ask you what program do you want to open a file with that would not work with and installation file and save is just to save the file to a location.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, Charles, your last answer doesn't really help me understand what's going on, and I'm sure I've used up my $48 worth of technical help. So why don't we just end our session and I'll continue not having sound on this laptop.

Ok Lets do this Can you go into control panel and locate programs there should be an option to choose uninstall. Once you are in there choose Conexant in that list it should be the audio software. Choose to uninstall that software let me once completed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We have a problem - I must restart the computer for the uninstall to take effect.

Sure no problem go ahead. I am guessing you located it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I located it. But will we lost our conversation thread if I restart? Or are we finished after this uninstall?

No you should be able to come back to me by saving this page as a favorite or going to your email and responding to the responses I send to you. You won't loose me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've bookmarked this page and will not restart.

OK I will be standing by.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. I've restarted and am back.

OK go ahead and re download

go to http://www.lenovo.com/ Click on support and then put in that white box Lenovo G770 Choose from Audio Conexant Audio Driver for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - Lenovo G770 Notebook

Download and run make sure you run and it should install. If it still fails after install we have a problem. The last option next to repair on the hardware side would be to do a full factory reset.

The restore option you would have to shut down the machine and push this button on the machine. This is what the buttons picture would look like. Keep in mind it does a factory restore like the machine was just bought again. That's up to you just make sure you have back ups of all of your data. If that fails and you still have no sound after that you would need to have the speaker connection and possibly the soundcard built onto the motherboard repaired or usually the motherboard would be replaced I regret to say.graphic Again if it fails I am very sorry about this and I do Appreciate how patience you have been with me tonight. Also here is an adobe link for the manual on the restore one key process if needed as well. http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_g770_ug_english.pdf

Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience: 2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's been downloaded and is (hopefully) installing now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, I've restarted the machine and haven't gotten any more messages prompting me to do anything. So I'm assuming everything is okay with the download and installation. But, since there is still no sound, I guess the problem is with the sound card of the speaker connection, etc. Unless there's anything else you can offer, we can end our chat. Thank you so very much for all your patience and willingness to keep trying to fix the problem. How do I get to the page to rate you?