Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I have a Brother MFC-8860DN and I keep getting an "Error 21

I have a Brother MFC-8860DN and I keep getting an "Error 21 01". It is not connected to another computer. It is a stand alone unit. How can I repair the error?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Michelle :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Michelle :

Is the printer connected wifi?

Customer:

No Just as a stand alone unit. Sorry, that would be a lot easier.

Michelle :

is the printer connected to the computer using usb cable?

Customer:

no. I also get a "out of memory" message on the verification report.

Michelle :

how is the printer connected to the computer?

Customer:

It is not connected to a computer. It is set up by itself.

Customer:

Could clearing the memory correct the Error 20 01?

Customer:

How do you clear the memory?

Michelle :

When scanning a document to be copied or faxed, the LCD shows "OUT OF MEMORY"

Michelle :

This message means the memory capacity of the unit has been exceeded. The amount of memory used depends on the amount or type of data on the documents being faxed or copied.

If you get an "Out of Memory" message while scanning the first page, press Stop/Exit to cancel scanning.

If you get an "Out of Memory" message while scanning a subsequent page, you can either press Start to transmit or copy the pages that were scanned so far, or press Stop/Exit to cancel the operation.

"Out of Memory" message with Fax Storage On? When Fax Storage is set to On, copies of all received faxes are stored in the memory, thus using up a portion of the memory available for other functions. The Fax Storage feature is utilized for Fax Forwarding, Fax Paging and Remote Retrieval. If you do not need these features, verify that Fax Storage is set toOff by doing the following:

Michelle :

1. Press Menu.

2. Press the Up or Down arrow key to choose Fax and press OK.

3. Press the Up or Down arrow key to choose Remote Fax Opt and press OK.

4. Press the Up or Down arrow key to choose Fwd/Page/Store or Forward/Store and press OK.

5. Press the Up or Down arrow key to choose Off and press OK.

6. If you have faxes stored in the memory, you will receive a message that reads Erase All Fax ? 1. Yes 2. No. (Erase All Doc ? 1. Yes 2. No.)

If you want to erase all the faxes in the memory without printing them out, press 1 (Yes) and then pressStop/Exit.

If you would like to reprint the saved faxes, press 2 (No), press Stop/Exit and continue to the following steps for instructions on how to print stored faxes.

If you do need the features that require Fax Storage to be On, the stored faxes will need to be erased or printed to remove them from the memory and to allow additional memory to be available. Follow these steps to print the stored faxes:

1. Press Menu.

4. Press the Up or Down arrow key to choose Print Fax or Print Document and press OK.

5. Press Start.

6. After printing is finished, press Stop/Exit.

Michelle :

once done let me know the status

Customer:

It states "no document"

Michelle :

install paper the tray must be empty

Customer:

I have already done what you recommended prior to contacting you, and agin now. Paper tray is half full. The LED screen doesn't say "Out of Memory", the printed verification report does.

Michelle :

ok

Michelle :

Initially, determine if there is a dialtone by temporarily replacing the All-In-One Printer with a regular phone. If there is, dial a fax number and note if the said number will ring and answer with a fax tone.

If no dialtone, then it would be a phone company concern.

Michelle :

Offhand, if there is a dialtone using the regular phone, reconnect the MFC-8860dn:

• verify that the phone wire is connected to the jack marked LINE and not EXT;

Michelle :

• connect the regular phone on the jack marked EXT and again determine if there is a dialtone;

• no dialtone on the regular phone, phone wire problem;

Michelle :

• dialtone on the regular phone, internal Brother fax hardware problem; or

• Out of memory could be corrected by: 1) printing the faxes that are in memory; 2) turn OFF Fax Storage; and/or 3) add an optional memory.

Michelle :

Good luck.

Customer:

The only thing I haven't done is add memory. I'll contact a Brother repair center tomorrow. Is the picture in CHAT really you?

Michelle :

thats correct sir

Michelle :

if you have added memory try to remove the new ram and connect the old and check of the old one works fine without error.

Customer:

Ok will do. In the immortal words of "Wayne".........Shwing .....you're Excellent! Thank you!

Michelle :

Thanks you sir

Customer:

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX , Mesa, Arizona XXX-XXX-XXXX, Brad

Michelle :

try the old memory module first to check the error then after that remove the old one and install the new memory module if the error persists get the new memory module replaced it must be in warranty.

Customer:

Thank you!

Michelle :

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If you have more question feel free to ask.

Customer:

Did you get my prevo\ious reply?

Michelle :

is that the email and phone number?

Customer:

Yes

Michelle :

the chat system removes it automatically as customer info is secure and is not displayed on chat.

Customer:

Oh well. Thank you for responding, you did an excellent job!

Michelle :

Thank you for using our service sir and you have a great day ahead.

Customer:

Thank you!

Michelle :

Please provide a rating by clicking on the smiley below to close the chat session.

Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors