Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience:  2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.

Hello, having an issue with my Dell Inspiuron 1525 laptop.

Hello, having an issue with my Dell Inspiuron 1525 laptop. I was using it, and the screen went blank, a black screen (it was still lit though). I tried to reboot, and when I do, it sounds like things are loading up, but the screen remains completely dark, as if the backlight isn't even turning on. I have Vista x64 SP1.
Category: Computer
Expert:  James K. replied 11 months ago.
Hello

My name is James

Welcome to Just Answer

Please try this exactly and let me know

1) Remove the Power Supply
2) Remove the Battery
3) With Both Removed Hold the Power on button for 2 Mins
4) Replace the Power Supply only and start the machine
5) If it Starts Re-insert the Battery

Let me know Please James
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

That did not work. There is still nothing on the screen after I perform step 4.

thanks , dose the laptop stay on ,?

is the screen totally black can you shine a light on it to see if its on ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The laptop stays on, and it sounds like it is loading correctly.

When I use a flashlight on the screen, I see nothing. The screen looks like I have not turned on the machine.

ok.

Did you try and External Monitor using a VGA Cable,

Did you reboot , when you attached it ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I will try the external monitor again. One moment.

Ok let me know
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Nothing on the external monitor

not looking good but a strange one.

Dose it make any nosies and beeping ?>
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No beeping.

The fan, CD drive, and HDD seem to be making the usual start-up noises.

If the Screen had an issue

Then when you plugged the external in it would show up

So that points to the graphics card was the machine running hot?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It didn't seem hot, any more than usual. Counterquestion: if the graphics card was fried, wouldn't the backlight and such still turn on? When the issue originally occurred, the backlight stayed on.

good question

in theory yes it could light up, the back light is actually a small tube along the bottom of the screen

If the GF card had a problem then yes it could light up
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK, so it didn't. Now what>

Do you see an FN and brightness key usally F7

if you hold FN and tap the brightness key do you see any change
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I tried to increase the brightness, but nothing happened. The monitor still looks as if the computer is not turned on.

Can you try the external Monitor again

are you connecting via VGA cable

Can you connect and then press the FN and projector button Usually F5/F8

will have a picture on it

let me know
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I'm using VGA, yes.

That did not work. Still getting nothing on either display.

oh dear not good looking like a hardware failure

Ill opt to see if anyone has some suggestion to get it running ]
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I've got the OS disc, and am willing to do a complete reinstall of Windows, but of course, I need to be able to see the display to do it.

yer that wont help at all its not a software issue

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok

Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 11 months ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions. If you don't mind just to verify your inquiry and a recap on what has been going on your monitor is no longer responding at all correct? Does the screen give off any kind of glow at all by chance? Also Since I have been looking this over it looks like this is a hardware malfunction not a software malfunction so now we need to figure out which piece of hardware is causing this.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK. I was using the laptop, and the screen want blank. The backlight was still on, though.

I shut off and then restarted the computer, and the screen has remained completely dark. There is no glow whatsoever. It looks like the computer is still off.

When I try to turn it on, it still sounds like the computer is starting up.

From your description it sounds like the computer and your data is perfectly fine that's the good news. You said at first the back light was still on but after you shut it off and turned it back on the screen was no longer glowing?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

That is correct.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I am a little concerned that I was not able to get anything to display on the external monitor.

Ok try this, the computer should be running to perform this option. I am going to test the machine to see if it was accidentally switched if not I will what is going on. Hold down the Fn key and push F8 and tell me if anything comes up on the screen at all? If nothing happens then just push F8 a couple of times by itself and tell me if you see anything. Also please connect an external monitor back to the machine before turning back on. Report anything on either screen ok.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

nothing on either screen

I see, and dell didn't come up on the second screen is this correct? If that is the case and nothing is showing up on either screens and no response at all not even the external. You either have a graphics card that has malfunctioned or just a bad LCD inverter. Which I am very sorry to be the one to tell you about this. How long have you had this machine? Do you still have a warranty on it? Do you have any experience taking apart or working on computers by chance?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I've had the machine for 4 years. The warranty is long gone, and I have no experience working with the innards of laptops. Guess I have to take it to a shop.

That is an option and if needed I can show you a video on how to take the machine apart and locate the parts for you if you would like to do it yourself as well. If you do please let me know right away ok. Again I am so very sorry I really am I don't like giving anyone bad news.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know...
Please don't leave negative feedback, Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated! You will be getting a survey on my assistance and information It would be greatly appreciated to let my Superiors know how I am doing thank you and please try and have a good day.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Can you send me a link to this video please?

I sure can. This would give you an idea on how to take it apart and get to the motherboard if needed which the graphics card is built in on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2zqsG7MIvc&list=PLEBF80971B174EDB5

Here is a link to purchase a replacement motherboard. Here is priceing on one just make sure it's new or tested: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=Dell+Inspiron+1525+Motherboard&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Also if the LCD inverter has malfunctioned which is also a possibility here is a video and link on it's replacement.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Dell+Inspiron+1525+Motherboard&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=Dell+Inspiron+1525+inverter&_sacat=0

Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNzaqgSXmJ0

Let me know if you have any other questions on this. Smile

Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience: 2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.