Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have a Canon MX870 printer that I have set up wirelessly

I have a Canon MX870 printer that I have set up wirelessly with my Sony Vaio laptop. I have printed and scanned many papers in the past. But today when I try to scan something, I get a message saying I need a WIA driver to complete the scan. What should I do, and why is it suddenly giving me this message?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

Most likely, we just need to reload the Canon software so that the computer recognizes the WIA scan driver again.

before we attempt to do so, could you relay to me the version of windows you have on your computer.

Windows xp, vista, windows 7, or windows 8.

Thanks!

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Windows 7

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

windows 7

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX question.

Can you click start, right click computer, then left click properties..

Then, scroll down, and where it says system type, let me know if you have a 32 or 64 bit system.. And after we get that info, we can then download and install the correct driver.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry. I did that, but don't see the information in any of the three tabs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I found it. It is 64 bit.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

lets try this as a first attempt at repairing the issue.

1) Launch Control Panel

2) Under "System and Security" click "Review your computer's status"

3) At the bottom of the following window click "Troubleshooting"

4) On th next window click "Run programs made for previous versions of Windows" under the "Programs" header. This will launch the "Program Compatibility" app.

5) Click "Next" and select the program "Canon IJ Network Scan Utility"

6) Click "Next" and then click "Troubleshoot program"

7) Check the box next to "This program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now"

8) Click "Next" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)"

9) Click "Next" and click the "Start the program" (windows will ask you if you want to allow changes, hit yes.

10) On the following screen "Troubleshooting has completed. Is the problem fixed?" click "Yes, save the settings for this program"

11) Click close on the next window.

Now repeat the same steps for the program "MP Navigator EX 3.1".

Let me know if you get stuck, or run into any issues.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green submit button to rate the answer. We can still communicate after rating, as rating does not end the conversation.

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Under Program Compatibility I did not find the Canon IJ Network Scan Utility heading.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Then the program either wasnt installed, or somehow its been removed / deleted.

lets try downloading the file below.

http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0100462001.html

and once downloaded, make sure to run the file and install it.. Once its completely installed.
Retsart the computer, and then attempt to scan again.. What happens?

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I ran and installed the driver. A new MX870 printer shows on my options, but it doesn't show the scan option.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok..

If you click start, and then go to all programs.

And then go to canon..

Do you see a network scan utility? If not, what all canon programs and utilities do you see listed now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the Canon IJ Network Scan Utility is there.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok, right click the canon network scan utility,

then click properties, then click compatibility, then clcik the checkmark for run this program in windows xp sp3 mode.

Then click apply, then click ok.

And then try to start the network scan utility again, does it still say the wia drive is missing?

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It lists two MX870's now, but the one checked as being used still doesn't show the scan function. The other MX870 still shows the scan function, but when I click on it, it still shows it needs the WIA driver.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. lets right click and delete the older MX870.

The one that says it needs the WIA driver..

Then, once deleted, try the canon network scan utility

Run that utility, can it find your scanner on the network now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It still doesn't show scan on the printer after deleting the old MX870.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok, lets try to reinstall the Network Scanner this way.

1. Open Network by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Network.

2. Locate the scanner, right-click it, and then click Install.

3. Follow the instructions to finish adding the network scanner.

let me know if you can see the scanner on the network at all.. And if not, what devices you do see on the network when we view it as shown above..

Thanks,

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I right click on the scanner, but "install" is not one of the options that comes up.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
When you right click on the scanner, what options do you see?

And if you double left click on the scanner, what do you see?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I right click the following options show. open, run as administrator, run as taskbar, pin to start menu, remove from this list, and properties. If I double left click a window comes up asking me if I want to allow the program to make changes to this computer. I previously clicked "yes" but they printer still didn't offer the scan function.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so after we right clicked and deleted the older printer and scanner.

and then we double left clicked, and then clicked yes to alllow changes.

It still doesnt show a scan option on your Devices and printers window?

And the network utilty still wont see or pull up the scanner?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Right on both.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

if you dont mind, I would like to see this issue for myself, would you mind if we tried a screen sharing session so I can see your screens, and try a few steps myself?

D.S
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That would be appreciated.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
To get started, click the link below

http://166.78.231.170:8040/

The password XXXXX canon scan

once entered, its going to ask you to allow, download and then run a file.. Please make sure to allow it and install it, as this will create our secure connection.

Once connected, or if you run into any issues connecting, please send a reply and let me know.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Dustin, did we lost the connection?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Hi..

I was waiting for you to reply to let me know if you had connected.

Please standby , while I connect to you.

D.S
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ok, in the remote sessionk, we were able to get the Scanner working, using the newer MP navigator software..

There is a shortcut on the desktop for the MP navigator, and if you scan using that software, the scanner is working just fine.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Also, at this time since we were successful in getting the scanner to work, it would be appropriate to click one of the rating icons below, and then click submit.

Thank you,

Dustin S.
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller