Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry

I was following this thread as I, too, have a WD Passport that

I was following this thread as I, too, have a WD Passport that it is asking for a password XXXXX I never gave it one. I never had to use it on my other computer. It just showed up as G drive and I clicked it, all the docs showed up. My BOOK is on this external drive. I'm sick at the thought of losing this. Can you help me?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for your Question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

I can understand how frustrating this is, and I will not mislead you.

you must delete all data on the drive in order to use it again if you do not have the password.

The reason is all the data is encrypted. This means the data on the drive cannot be accessed in anyway unless the password XXXXX XXXXX

I can promise there is no way around this. If there was, Western Digital, the makers of the drive, would have a very serious issue. But the drive has been developed in a way that this password XXXXX be bypassed until you either enter the correct password, or reset the drive, losing all data.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but I promise you it is the only way.

To reset the drive so you can use it again, once you incorrectly enter the password XXXXX times, you will see the option to check the box that says "I understand that reformatting my drive will delete all of my data and click Format"

Then click format, it will remove all the encrypted data and you can use the drive again.

I really hope you are not angry at me. The drive is designed to be this way, to protect the data on it (else the password XXXXX would be pointless).

If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I read where one person tore the Passport open, removed the hard drive and had someone read it. Is that possible. I would gladly 'lose' the Passport itself to get to the hard drive.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
No sorry Melisa, that will not work.

The reason is that the actual data on the hard drive is encrypted.

It is not just a password, that password XXXXX XXXXX key to un-encrypt the files, so even if you ripped out the hard drive, connected it to a sata port directly on a mainboardm and read the data directly, the data is unreadable as it is encrypted with a key, this key being your password.

I have personally attempted this, and many other methods to get data off a locked device, and all have failed (I have been doing this for over 20 years). If I had succeeded, Western Digital would update the drives to stop this flaw.

I do not know where you read the person opening up the drive, but the end result would have been failure, I can promise this. All you achieve is connecting the drive in a different manner, it does not change the lock, as the case is only a power supply, nothing more.

If you would like any additional information, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Well this stinks. If I didn't ever have a password, why with the new computer is it asking for one do you think?

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
It would have been entered once, and the computer then would have remembered the password, and auto entered it.

With the new computer, you need to enter it once, and the software remembers it (so you do not have to keep entering it everytime).

The password XXXXX XXXXX set, when someone sets it, it is not automatic.

But, can you not connect the drive to the old computer to copy off your data, then format the drive, set a new password XXXXX copy the data back on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The mother board is out on that computer. I'm almost tempted to go ahead and eat the expense and get that one fixed so I can get to my book. What is the cost of fixing a mother board. My lap top is about 2.5 years old, a 19" HP with all the bells and whistles. What do you think it would cost to fix it? Is there a way around it to at least get the password?

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
I can tell you the price, but can you give me the model of the laptop please?

Expert:  Michelle replied 11 months ago.

Hi you may give this a try to my steps. Download wdsmartwareupdate here : http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/ Download instructions : 1- Locate you WD disk entry, click on Windows or Mac according to your operating system. 2 - Click on Download now link at the bottom and download the soft. Unlock instructions : 1- extract the zip file you've downloaded en run the.exe. 2- select Continue to update and accept Licence Agreement. 3 - Next select Update Firmware 4- Check the check box "I understand ......" under Warning section, a button "drive erasure" will appear. 5- Click on drive erasure button 6- Wait until the end of the process and quit 7- Unplug/turn off the passport and plug it back in. Your WD passport is unlocked

Source: http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-26975-wd-my-book-reset-password

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Michele, would I do this on the computer I am now have that is working, my Desktop?

you have to do this on the computer on which the hard drive initially was installed.

download and run the firmware and follow the steps i gave one by one the password XXXXX be removed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have a black screen on the computer that was initially used for the Passport. I was told either the motherboard was out or the screen was out. There is no way to track what I'm doing as I can't see anything on the original computer that messed up and I used the Passport on. The tech felt that the mother board was probably what had gone out.

So how could I do this without being able to
'see' the screen?

you may connect the WD to a working computer and then download the firmware and install it, give it a try and let me know.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Hi Melisa,

You have been told by the other expert exactly what I told you.

The procedure you have been given will delete all data from the drive and then remove the password.

You are going to lose your data this way, as I explained. It is the exact same thing as I have told you.

If you wish to have any chance, we need to properly check about getting the old computer working again.

The instructions you have been provided just now, by the other expert, are the same as what I told you. It will format all data on the drive.

I really urge you to work with me on getting the motherboard replaced on the old computer, as this is the only chance you have.

You are being told nothing new with this expert.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK. I'm getting confused here. I don't want to lose my book but I've just had to buy a new computer (bought a desktop) as I do work from home and a computer is 'my job' in a sense as I work on medical documents, so money is now 'tight'...I even looked on line about replacing the dang thing myself. Sigh. So how much would this cost me?

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
I am sorry for the confusion, I will continue to assist you

If we get the old computer working, it has the password XXXXX so you can access the data on the old computer, as we were discussing.

Or, you can take the laptop to a computer store as they will usually have a lot of old motherboards there, and they may (for a very small fee) temporarily put the a motherboard in the laptop, so you can copy the data off the drive, format it as per my instructions and set a new password.

This most computer stores would do as it would take no more then an hour.

This is an option. Else please tell me the Model of the Laptop and I can tell you what a new motherboard would cost.

But I would explore the option of having a computer company temporarily install a motherboard in the laptop, long enough to get the data off the drive.

If you do wish though to explore getting a new motherboard, please let me know the model of the Laptop and I can tell you the price.

Thank you and again, my apologies for the confusion that just occurred.

I will opt out and let the expert work with you.
have a nice day.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you Michelle.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Hi Melisa

Did you receive my last message ok?

Where you able to understand your options?

Please let me know

Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes, I got it. I sent you the model #. Here it is again.

XH105UA#ABA

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Thank you

the best price I found is $109.

The motherboard can be purchased directly from my link below

Click Me To view

As I mentioned though, you may want to try a computer store, to see if they will temporarily put one on, just so you can get your data off the drive.

else, if you purchase this motherboard and put it in the laptop, it will then run again, and you will be able to retrieve your data from the drive.

Feel free to ask if you would like any additional information please.

And if you can please rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK. I'm going to talk to the computer store, see about buying the MB and then see if I can't get someone with experience to put it in for me. Thanks Richie.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
ok, but if you are at the point where you have the Motherboard,

Then I have a assembly video for you here you could follow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjODX5NyqdI

It shows how to dissemble the Laptop, and re-assemble it which would save you money on having someone to do this for you.

I hope this is helpful Melisa, and I wish you all the best.

Richie.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I'm contacting the company in the video also. Thanks so much. Have a good one.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Your most welcome.

All the best