James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company

i have an acer aspire one D257-13450. the system isnt working

i have an acer aspire one D257-13450. the system isn't working because the windows 7 is corrupted. Even though i have the product key, the pc came without a disc. the screen shows:: a recent hardware or software change might be the cause.to fix the problem:1. insert your windows installation disc and restart the computer. But this acer came without a windows disc. I also try the Erecovery, but because the system is corrupted it didn't work. My warranty expired, and the tech support i tried asked $199.00 which was what i paid for the netbook.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX emailXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Computer
Expert:  James K. replied 11 months ago.
Hello

My name is James

Welcome to Just Answer

dose the machine boot into Windows at all> even in safemode ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It used to, but it got worse and worse. Even though i have tried, for example ALT F10, i'm getting the same screen...a recent hardware or software change might be the cause. to fix the problem: insert your windows installation disc and restart the computer...... if you don't have the disc contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer. As i said i downloaded windows 7 into a flash drive, because the pc doesn't take DVD. But it didn't work.

Ok

Can you do this for me

restart the machine and as soon as it gets on

Tap F8 > keep tapping a list of options will appear choose safemode with networking and let me know how far its gets in the loading process
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

i tried several times with the same screen. It also states that the selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

dose the netbook have a dvd drive ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No. I have another question. since i have the key number of the windows 7 is there a way to get the disc. even though in this case because it doesn't have a dvd drive, i need to use a flash drive.

the only way would be to purchase a valid disk from Ebay /amazon

where did you download the windows 7 from is it a iso file ?

did you use the MS program to burn it correctly to a flash drive?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes i download the windows 7 from an Iso file. I don't think i use the MS program to burn it correctly, because i'm not aware of ms program.

ok are you chatting to me on the machine you download the file to ?

When you say the machine wouldn't take did the laptop boot from the windows install Flash drive . Or did it not boot from it ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No i'm using my apple. the laptop didn't boot from the windows install flash drive. I didn't see any change.

By the way i was able to change the screen to diagnostic tools. It says that windows is checking for memory problems. Status: hardware problems were detected, to identify and repair these problems,you need to contact the pc manufacturer. Although the test may appear inactive at times, it is still running. PLease wait until testing is complete... windows will restart automatically. test results will be displayed again after you log on. Hope this helps

Ok let me know the results off the test when completed
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK, it's taking its time.

no problem
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

the test wasn't completed, the screen switched to the usual one.

ok

You need to Rule out a Software issue

To that you need a clean install of windows

for that you need some install media

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Could you please explain more, i'm not that savvy with what you're telling me. another thing, the acer store offers the eRecovery media that will recover your system back to the original factory settings, including all original software, applications, drivers, and operating system. Based on your model you will be able to choose an eRecovery CD or Thumb drive. Do you think this will work? also, how do i rule out a software issue. how do install clean windows, and what is some install media?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

From the graphics at the acer store, the thumb drive looks like a flash drive.

Correct !

The Flash drive will contain Windows on a Flash drive

The difficult bit of putting Windows on a flash Drive is making it a bootable Flash Drive

This will all be done for you.

So you could install straight from the USB flash drive

This Would be a clean Install of windows and back to "Out of the box condition "

This is Your best option ,

By Install Media i a way of Installing Windows , Which your referring to know using the Pre made Windows Flash drive.

Which you could use in the future if you had any issues with the machine also

As you cant boot in Safemode , or from the recovery

this is now your only option , and its a good option

Cheers James

Now please rate my service with the smiley faces and submit and come back any issues

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you James. I'm going to buy the flash eRecovery from acer store. I'll appreciate if i could contact you, because i'm not sure how well i'll do trying to install the flash drive. Could i contact you when it arrives, can you walk me thru?

Sure

You can Just Ask a Question and put for James in the title and i will walk you thro it

its just a few steps well get it done

Now please click the Smiley Faces and Submit and come back when you have the drive

cheers James
James K., Consultant
Experience: Technical Director of IT Company