Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I never dropped my zune and never had a prob with it today

I never dropped my zune and never had a prob with it today I added 1 album and now its clicking and wont power up...im pissed..i spent 500 bucks on it
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Michelle :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Customer:

im am so frustrated..

Michelle :

If your Zune goes dead and not powering on, it will take several minutes (give it 10 minutes even) of charging from the USB connection before it will turn on. I believe that’s because the power from the USB cable doesn’t directly power the Zune, so it must charge the battery enough to run first.

Customer:

it all of sudden said error code 3

Customer:

now it says error code 5

Michelle :

ok

Customer:

and I didn't do anything

Michelle :

hold down the back and up button on the control pad. Also, make sure the keypad isn’t locked on the top, so that if you do need to reset it the keys will actually work.

Customer:

i tried that

Customer:

do i need to wait till the error5 five goes off from battery dying

Michelle :

can you remove the battery from the zune and let it be out for 10 mins

Michelle :

reconnect the battery and let it charge for another 10 mins

Michelle :

the error must go

Customer:

how? i think its taped on circuit board

Michelle :

i will give you a video how to remove the battery

Customer:

removing battery will make error 5 go away so i can hard rest it?

Customer:

reset

Michelle :

error 5 is basically a software error

Michelle :

If resetting it doesn't work, you should reinstall the software:

Customer:

don't know how? i am a crane operator not an electronic specialists..lol referring to software reinstall :-)

Michelle :

ok

Michelle :

First you try to remove the battery and check if it works after reinserting it.

Customer:

k..standby

Michelle :

i have attached a video link how to remove the battery.

Customer:

battery is wired directly to a chip it wont snap out...i have it out but connected to 4 wires

Michelle :

the wire must have a connector

Michelle :

can you take a picture and post it on the chat box

Customer:

k..standbye

Michelle :

sure

Michelle :

i see you are trying to rate this chat is the problem fixed or you have any question for me.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

no that was an accident

Michelle :

it looks like the battery wire is soldered on the board

Customer:

yeah..weird

Michelle :

i can see the red wire soldered on the board but the black wire is not clear

Customer:

its solder to

Michelle :

can you take another picture and post it with the black wire visible

Customer:

the black wire is soldered to the board as well

Michelle :

ok

Michelle :

try to reset the zune

Customer:

what if i cut the black wire and re splice it after the appropriate time

Michelle :

you can do that but how will you reconnect it back it will require a soldering iron and soldering wire to connect it back

Michelle :

and you have to be sure about the polarity as well + and -

Customer:

lol...old school...twist it back together and tape it..:-)

Michelle :

ok

Customer:

hold on

Michelle :

sure

Customer:

im gonna have to resolder it...what steps after that?

Michelle :

reset the unit if the battery thing doesnt work

Michelle :

in case the error 5 persists then you will have to reinstall the zune software

Customer:

is that something i can do or is it hard

Michelle :

its very simple and easy

Michelle :

you will be able to do it yourself and incase you need more help dont hesitate to ask i will be glad to assist you.

Customer:

how will i get a hold of u

Michelle :

open justanswer email and click on view my answer button you will be able to post your message and i will be informed.

Customer:

thank u so much...hopefully this works

Michelle :

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.

Customer:

i think i got it charging again...evidently my eyes r still good..lol

Customer:

battery signal says its charging..

Michelle :

let it charge for 10 to 20 mins and then you can check

Michelle :

Things should work fine

Customer:

came disconnected at battery as well..took 2 solders

Michelle :

soldered it back?

Customer:

yep...about the size of a pin head

Michelle :

great

Customer:

not bad for a crane operator..lol

Michelle :

you are going great.

Customer:

do u recommend i hard reset all tunes on there

Michelle :

yes i woud if the error is still there.

Customer:

how?

Michelle :

Set the hold switch on your Zune player to the unlocked position. Press and hold the "Back" button while pressing and holding the top of the Zune pad located next to the LCD screen. Release the buttons when your Zune player powers up.

Press and hold the "Back," "Play/Pause," and "Zune pad" buttons together if you are using a 4GB, 8GB or 80GB Zune media player. Hold the buttons firmly until you see the "Please wait" message on your screen. If you are using a 32GB Zune player, press and hold the "Back," button and press the left side and center of the Zune pad. Hold the buttons firmly until you see the "Please wait" message on your screen. After the "Please wait" message, your Zune player prompts you to connect your device to the computer.

Connect your Zune media player to the computer using the USB cable that came with your device. Launch the Zune software and click the "Update" button to install the latest software update on your Zune device.

Customer:

still says error 5

Michelle :

after trying the reset if the error persist then you will have to reinstall the zune software

Customer:

i cant reset it while 5 is showing tho...so now do i have to let battery die to shut it off

Michelle :

ok

Customer:

its 120gb model

Michelle :

Ok this is what you do, don't open anything on your computer (zune program I mean)
On your zune make sure the hold button isn't on
At the same time hold down the back button and upwards on the directional pad until the screen goes black
then use your left hand and press the back button while using your right index finger to press the middle of the zune pad use your middle finger (on your right hand) to press play pause button. All of these need to be held at the same time. You should get a please wait message. follow the instructions on screen...

Customer:

all right when i do that ...it goes black then says please wait then goes to zune turning on page then goes back to error5

Michelle :

the zune software is corrupted you will have to reinstall it to fix the problem.

Customer:

im not ating u yet..i keep bumping it

Customer:

rating

Michelle :
Customer:

i don't get how updating zune software on pc will get pc to recognize my player

Customer:

when player is in malfunction state

Customer:

k..im launching zune...now what

Customer:

after reinstallation

Customer:

hello?

Michelle :

yes i am here

Michelle :

after reinstallation you may load music and check

Customer:

zune is running on pc i plugged player back in so it can charge...itll turn on by itself

Customer:

then what? reset player again to please wait screen

Michelle :

please wait and see what comes up now

Customer:

k...still waiting for it to turn on

Customer:

doing same thing goes from please wait to contact support

Customer:

no ideas

Michelle :

ok

Michelle :

let me check

Customer:

it wont even stay on clear contents screen...jumps right to contact support

Michelle :

tell me the full error

Michelle :

message you get on the screen now

Customer:

it don't have error code other than 5...and all it says is contact support

Michelle :

now the error 5 is not popping up is that correct

Michelle :

it says contact support correct

Customer:

no its still 5...it goes from 3 when i reset it to 4 when i try to clear content ang 5 contact support

Michelle :

contact support is a kind of an error however you have to check the hard drive cable if its connected fine.

Customer:

it is cause its beeping at me everytime i reset zune

Michelle :

the number Five Error is usually the hard drive, sometimes the hard drive cable.

Customer:

? u mean usb cable?

Michelle :

the cable inside the zune which connects the hard drive to the main board

Customer:

what hard drive cable? is it inside zune player?

Customer:

i have no idea which one that would be

Michelle :

i will show you

Michelle :

check the video this will help you locate the hdd and the cable

Customer:

so ur telling me the hard drive needs replaced

Michelle :

as per the troubleshooting zune support says its the harddrive or the cable is not connected fine.

Customer:

well if harddrive is clicking b4...does that mean its bad?

Michelle :

if you hear clicking sound then it the harddrive which is bad the spindal head which is not mooving though its making clicking noise, time to get a new harddrive for the player

Customer:

where?

Michelle :

let me see if you can order online

Customer:

can u email me a link to order one...i appreciate urXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Michelle :

here is the link

Customer:

also can u tell me which players on market that have 120gb hd that have a solid state hd....tired of moving part hd's going bad on me

Michelle :

sure i will

Customer:

im not very pc savy can u email that link to me so i have it

Michelle :

it is already in your email all you have to do is open justanswer email and the link is there

Customer:

thank you so much for your help michelle...i really appreciate it...nice to see such a pretty girl has such a big brain...lol ..jk...keep up the good work..:-)

Michelle :

Thanks

Customer:

have a great night or day..where ever u are...goodbye for now..may holler at yah again when i get replacement..:-)

Customer:

night

Michelle : iPod classic (120GB)
Customer:

thanks for that info...:-) (ipod)

Michelle :

will be the best player which can hold 40000 songs

Customer:

cool...thanks

Michelle :

more technical specifications is here

Michelle :

Is there anything else i may assist?

Customer:

nope that's all for now thanks...

Michelle :

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating

Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors