Jeremy, Computer Repairer
Experience:  Computer Issues? Let my 14 years experience work to solve your toughest issue. Simple and Fast.

When I turn on my HP desktop computer and monitor, the monitor

When I turn on my HP desktop computer and monitor, the monitor says that I have no VGA input signal. I replaced the VGA cable but it did same message. Is this a problem with the desktop or the do I fix it?
Hi my name isXXXXX would like to assist you with your question. I am an expert here on in the computer field.

How are you doing today?

Do you mind testing something for me?

Unplug the Power Cord.

Remove the side panel.

Locate and remove the CMOS battery.

View Full Image

Leave the CMOS battery removed for 5 minutes.

After 5 minutes reattach the battery then turn it back on.

If that does not work.

Unplug the power cord again.

Remove all PCI cards in the computer (except the video card if it is an external video card)

Try to turn it on with them removed.

Let me know if it turns on or it continues to not boot, I will be standing by Laughing

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I took out the 2032 CMOS battery and waited 5 minutes...Got same message when restarted. (I reinstalled battery, connected power)

Mike it sounds like it may be 1 of 2 things then.

Either the Video card itself is loose or has gone bad or the Memory may be loose or has gone bad.

After trying to remove the PCI cards per above. Can you try something else for me

Locate the Memory, It looks like the above picture.

There may be 2 or more sticks. Go ahead unplug the power cord and remove them and re-insert them testing 1 at each time.

If it does the same thing remove the stick and try the other one.

Let me know if that 'wakes' the HP up :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I removed four memory cards one by one, reinstalled and started system. Through the the first 3 cards I got message that VGA input was now "active" but only got a blinking cursor at left top of screen. Upon removing a fourth memory card and re-installing it, got original message that there was no VGA input signal (back to square one). I am not familiar with taking out PCI cards (not done). Still not fixed.

Okay it sounds like the Memory may be the issue. Can you remove that stick and get to the point where you seen a blinking cursor. Make sure you do not have a CD in the drive, or a flash drive / sd card inserted. If you do remove them.

If not. Remove the CMOS battery one more time (after remove the power cord) and let me know what that does.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK..removed cmos battery for 5 minutes again. Made sure all memory was secure in its settings. Fired back up...message says VGA is active and blinking cursor in left top corner is visible but still not regular screens, However, for first time can activate monitor buttons for "menu", "source", and "auto". One other message said monitor was making an auto adjustment.

Can you double check and make sure the hard drive did not become disconnected? It sounds like it's turning on okay, but not seeing the hard drive itself now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Back to bad square get original message of no vga input signal. I checked the hard drive and connection seems tight. Seems to me we got improvement each time we took out the battery for 5 minutes. Do we need a new 2032 battery?

No that shouldn't matter. I'm starting to think it may be the video card Mike. What's the model number of the HP? I'll see if I can find a cheap replacement online for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your input. You appear to have narrowed it down to a specific cause. I am not qualified to install a video card so I now intend to take the computer to a local repair shop to do the work.

I would like to now end this session. Your help was appreciated and I accept the $38 charge.

No problem at all Mike. Let them know that you had a tech diagnose it as a video card, just so they don't charge you a huge diagnostic fee. A used card should run around $30 or so for a standard VGA card.

If you ever have any computer issues or need any advice I am here for you in any way I can be. Feel free to reply to me day or night Mike Laughing

If you have a moment don't forget to rate my help below (an excellent service rating is most appreciated) Smile

Thanks again for all you patience Mike, it was a pleasure chatting with you