Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.

I need to perform a defrag on Exchange 2003 SBS server using

I need to perform a defrag on Exchange 2003 SBS server using eseutil tool and have questions on how to perform correctly
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 10 months ago.

Kamil Anwar :

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer – My name isXXXXX and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Customer:

Hello

Kamil Anwar :

You will have to take the database offline to do this

Customer:

I have dismounted the store

Customer:

My question the drive were the database resides only has 23GB available and it says you need 110% free, what switch do I need to make a backup and put files somewhere else

Kamil Anwar :

What is the path where the databases are?

Kamil Anwar :

You need to map a drive and run eseutil on that particular drive

Customer:

C:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata

Customer:

Okay so command prompt should be C:\program files\exchsrvr\bin> eseutil /d c:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb?

Kamil Anwar :

C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin>eseutil /d "C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Archive Group\Mailbox Store.edb"

Customer:

You completely lost me on that. I don't have that path

Kamil Anwar :

You will need to map a shared drive that has enough space to do the defrag

Customer:

My D: drive has enough space and it is already mapped as H:

Kamil Anwar :

Copy the ESEUTIL on that drive and run that from that drive and define the correct path

Customer:

Copied eseutil to D:\Program Files\Test

Customer:

So it would be H:\program files\test> eseutil /d c:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb?

Customer:

I meant D:\program files\test> eseutil /d c:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb?

Kamil Anwar :

that is correct

Customer:

Will that make a copy of the databases on my D: drive or C: drive?

Kamil Anwar :

It will use the drive where you are initiating the eseutil

Kamil Anwar :

here is an example

Kamil Anwar :

eseutil /d "C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Archive Group\Mailbox Store.edb"

Customer:

So my updated .edb file will be saved to D:\program files\test correct? Will it still be named priv1.edb or something else?

Kamil Anwar :

The path does not change, it only defrags and uses a temp space to do this

Customer:

So my original file will not be affected

Kamil Anwar :

It should not be, How big is the database

Customer:

76GB

Customer:

Okay, so temp files will be stored in D:\program files\test. Do I rename those temp files and put them in the mdbdata folder where my originals were located?

Kamil Anwar :

No, you should not need to do anything

Customer:

I would like a backup

Customer:

I would like a backup of databases before starting defrag

Kamil Anwar :

You will need a back program to back it up correctly

Customer:

Isn't there a switch to backup it up during defrag?

Kamil Anwar :

Not that I am aware of, we have always recommend using a back program

Kamil Anwar :

how do you guys get rid of the logs

Customer:

Not sure. That could be why the database is so large. It says 76GB, but there is actually only about 30GB used. How should I get rid of the logs? What that eliminate the white space?

Kamil Anwar :

can you check and see how big are the logs

Customer:

Are they in the same folder as .edb file?

Kamil Anwar :

it can be, it depends on when you installed exchange

Kamil Anwar :

they should be 5 MB incrememts

Customer:

There are three logs for a total of 15MB

Kamil Anwar :

The are named in this format E:xxxx.log

Customer:

There were only three

Kamil Anwar :

How far do the logs go back ?

Customer:

3 logs for today

Kamil Anwar :

That is good you must have circular logging on

Customer:

I do.

Kamil Anwar :

so you have white space on the database. and that can only be retrived by doing a defrag. If yo do not want to defragg then you also move the database to a bigger drive

Customer:

I will try defrag first and see how much space is reclaimed

Kamil Anwar :

You can check that in the event log it should tell you how much space will be ragained

Customer:

BTW, Exchange calculates the .edb and .stm which totals the message store. In Exchange manager if you total the usage of each mailbox should that equal the .edb file or the total for both files? Does that make sense?

Kamil Anwar :

The easy way to check is event 1221

Kamil Anwar :

have I answered your question ??

Kamil Anwar :

Please rate my services, thanks - If you have other questions, please open a new question.

Customer:

It says 22168MB of free space after defrag

Customer:

So after I defrag I should get 22GB correct?

Kamil Anwar :

That is correct

Customer:

Perfect. Thank you for your help. I will rate

Kamil Anwar :

Thanks

Experience: 8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.