Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience:  2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.

Is there a way to clear out your laptop, so this way, its quick

Is there a way to clear out your laptop, so this way, its quick and free of any sort of viruses; Without buying any tope of software. Just from the computer itself?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 10 months ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions. It really depends if your machine has a built in factory reset partition. If it doesn't you would need to have the vendor send you the recovery software for that machine. I can find out for you. Can you please tell me the make of the computer and the model number please?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I have a HP WINDOWS7 STARTER notebook. I don't know where the model number is; But basically, the problem I am having, is that my notebook takes longer than usually to start up, and the internet always takes a minute-three minutes to load and function. So I was wondering if there was a way to just restart and wipe out everything. Or anyway to make my notebook run quickly again, again I'm not sure what the model number is.

The model number would be located on the bottom under side of this machine. I am sure this is a way to do this but I need to know the model number because there are millions of machines out there and some do some don't. Can you look at that so I can tell you if there is a recovery program built in and if there is I can tell you how to access it.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I'm not sure if either of these are it but it says

serial: CNC03939WN

product: XH021UA#ABA

custmodel:(NNN) NNN-NNNNR

OK follow these instructions.

1. Restart the computer.
2. When the computer logo is displayed on the screen, press f6 repeatedly until the Windows status
bar is displayed.
3. When the Roxio BackOnTrack screen is displayed, follow the on-screen instructions.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

OK. it comes up with a screen that say. "CHOOSE AN OPERATING SYSETM TO STARTM OR PRESS TAB TO SELECT A TOOL. then it says WINDOWN 7

BENEATHE THAT IT SAYS ..

TO SPECIFY AN ADVACED OPTION FOR THIS PRESS F8..

THEN UNDER THAT IT SAYS

TOOLS: WINDOWS MEMORY DIAGNOSTIC

OK go ahead and choose the tab key and tell me what tools it allows you to choose from.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I pressed TAB. It only gives me one optiopn. WINDOWS MEMORY DIAGNOSTIC. OTHER THAN THAT JUST WINDWOS 7

OK nothing for recovery or let's check for a recovery partition restart the computer and if you can load into windows please let me know once you are there.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

OK. I started up normally, I'm on the windows screen now

OK can you click on start then computer and tell me what drivers are listed in there please.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I clicked Start. Computer. then it shows LOCAL DISK (C:) AND RECOVER (D:) I CLICKED D. AND IT SAYS

RECOVERY PARTITOIN

WARNING

THIS AREA OF YOUR HARD DRIVE (OR PORTION) CONTAINS FILES UDED TO PERFORM A SYSTEM RECOVERY

DO NOT DELETE OR ALTER ANY OF THESE FILES.

ANY CHANGE TO THIS PARTITION COULD PREEVEN A SYSTEM RESTOR IN THE FUTURE..

IS this what you're talking about?

Yes it is perfect. Ok now close out of that then click on start then all programs and locate something that says HP or maybe HP recovery please. Tell me if you see anything like that.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I see a file that says RECOVERY MANAGER.

IT GIVES AN OPTION..

1) RECOVERY MANAGER

2) RECOVERY MEDIA CREATION

Ok choose option 1 and tell me what options it gives you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

USER ACCOUNT CONTROL

"DO YOU WANT TO ALLOW THE FOLLOWING PROGRAM TO MAKE CHANGES TO THIS COMPUTER...

PROGRAM NAME: RECOVERY MANAGER

VERIFIED PUBLISHER: CYBER LINK

FILE ORIGIN: HARD DEVICE ON THIS COMPUTER.

YES OR NO.

Yes then tell me what options there are.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ok. so now it brings up three screens. "I NEED HELP IMMIDIATLEY" "ID LIKE TO IDENTIFY ANY PROBLEMS. "ID LIKE TO TAKE PRECAUTIONS"

THE FIRST WINDOW SHOWS OPTIONS.

SOFTWARE PROGRAM REINSTALLATIONS

HARDWARE DRIVER INSTATLLATION

MICROSOFT SYSTEM RESTORE

SYSTEM RECOVERY....

SECOND BOX GIVES OPTIONS

RUN COMPUTER CHECK UP

THIRD BOX SHOWS

RECOVERY MEDIA CREATION

VIEW RECOVERY REPORT

REMOVE RECOVERY PARTITION

Ok this is what you will want to choose system recovery.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ok, I chose it. now it restarted and borought up a page that says. PLEASE DO NOT POWER OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR MACHINE. INSTALLING UPDATE ##OF 118

OK let it complete and finish we may have to go through that again and choose recovery media creation. It has it built in I can see that but you would either have to burn it to disk on an external drive or it might give the option to put it on a blank flash drive. I am guessing you don't have an external cd drive for this correct.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

you are correct.

Do you have a flash drive by chance?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I do not. However I could awlays pick one up ffrom the store in the near future if thats good. but as far as having one on hand at this time I do not.

OK this is what you are going to need to do once that completes. Burn the recovery software onto blank media I recommend Blank DVD R you can actually run that program and it will tell you how many disks are needed but burn that software once completed you can run those disks and it will restore the machine to out of box factory settings. That's what you are going to need to do. The good news it does have the recovery software on the machine to burn and run.
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience: 2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.