Nathan, Systems Manager
Experience:  Own/operate computer networking/IT company.
59725966

I have two printers. I have one cat 5 wire coming from my wireless

I have two printers. I have one cat 5 wire coming from my wireless router to the room where the two printers are. I want to be able to print to either without plugging one and plugging into the other (or running another cord to this room).

So I bought a spliter for RJ-45's. The source cable goes into the spliter, and then two cat 5 cords come out the back and go to there respective printers. I can't get them to work quite right.

I plugged the male end into my coupler:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001SIGXHC/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i03?
ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then the couple into the splitter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009XSZE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then two cat 5 cords that both SEEM to work on each printer when I test them with the coupler (no splitter).

Help.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble,

p0llinate :

The short answer is that this will not work.

p0llinate :

You have the wrong product,

p0llinate :

what you are trying to do isn't going to work because the splitter is not meant to share a single ip address, it is meant to share 2 ip addresses over a single cable

p0llinate :

what you need is a network switch

p0llinate :

that will allow the existing single cable to be shared with multiple devices in the other room

Customer:

I am glad to spend $15 stop wasting my time.

Customer:

Thanks !!!!

p0llinate :

You're very welcome, have a great day! By the way, I'm sure you can return the unneeded splitter to amazon and get it exchanged for the proper switch.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. We are done.