Erik B.
Erik B., Computer Support
Experience:  MCSE, MCP

can I upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7?

Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Yes you may upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7. There are a couple of items you need to know before you attempt the upgrade:

1. You will need Windows 7 software. When you purchase your software, you want to make sure to get the same version and bit as your current version of Vista. This means that if you have Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit you will want to purchase Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit.
  2. Before you attempt the upgrade, and indeed before you purchase the software, I would advise running the upgrade adviser tool from HERE. This tool will tell you if you need to remove any programs and/or hardware before performing the upgrade. It will also tell you if any of your programs will not work on in 7.
  3. To perform the upgrade, all you have to do is insert the Windows 7 DVD and follow the steps to perform an Upgrade. The installation wizard is pretty straightforward.
  4. I highly recommend backing up your data just in case something goes wrong.

I hope that helps, but please let me know if you need clarification on any of those points. I will be here. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX guess I can't do this upgrade right now. I am away from home with my laptop and I was hoping for an online download instead of ordering CDs. I hadn't used this laptop for a long time and didn't realize how out of date the OS was until I wanted to demonstrate one of the features to others.

This was an expensive answer, but I've learned a lesson (again): Do your homework and be prepared before you leave home.

Hi Cynthia -

You can definitely order the software and download it, but then you have to load it to a USB drive using the Microsoft USB/DVD tool. It is a little more involved but it is possible:

1. You can use a third party store to order the software and they will provide you with a download link. A good example is HERE.
  2. Once you get the download link and your product key, you would need to follow the directions HERE to create a USB drive with the install on it. You will need an 8GB USB stick at least.
  3. After you have the USB stick created, you can use it just as you would a DVD; simply double click the Setup file on the USB stick and the Windows 7 upgrade will occur.

Keep in mind the upgrade can take several hours so plan accordingly. Thank you!