LKT
LKT, IT Support
Experience:  A+,CCNA, BS Network Communications

I bought a dell refurbished desktop with windows 7 already

I bought a dell refurbished desktop with windows 7 already loaded. it also came with another disk for putting on refurbished computers. my problem is whenever I received the notice that I had 30 days to activate windows, the product key number was invalid. in fact, I can't even put in the number I have because it won't accept a zero or an 'O'
Category: Computer
Expert:  LKT replied 10 months ago.

LKT :

Hello

LKT :

So, I'm not sure if I understand the question. You bought a refurbished laptop and it is saying your Windows needs to be activated but the key you have is invalid?

Customer:

yes.

LKT :

The key you have, do you know it to be legitimate? Was it purchashed with the refurb? Is a stick on the desktop?

Customer:

yes, it is stuck to the top of the desktop. I assume that is legitimate.

LKT :

Alright, once in a while things like this happened. This happened to my new ASUS for whatever reason and I had to call Microsoft to get it activated.

Customer:

maybe I should clarify. It was furnished with the refurb.

LKT :

This is what you have to do:

1. Click Start
    [IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

.

2. Right-click Computer.

3. Select Properties.

4. At the bottom of the window, click Activate Windows now.

LKT :

When that window is open click

1. Click Use the automated phone system to activate.

Customer:

ok.

LKT :

The follow the prompts, and if the key is good you should not have any issues.

Customer:

I don't find those words on the page.

LKT :

Windows 7?

Customer:

yes.

LKT :

When you click activate windows now, what option are you getting?

LKT :

Is there a "Show me other ways to activate"?

Customer:

activate windows online or ask me now.

LKT :

Ask me now?

LKT :

Try that one.

Customer:

ask me later. sorry

LKT :

Oh ok. Try activating online, let it fail then check which options you have

LKT :

What version of Windows 7 do you have?

LKT :

Lets try this: Click Start and in the Run box type slui.exe 4 and press enter

Customer:

it won't let me put in a number. the first 5 characters are RGOMY. whether the 3rd one is zero or 'o', it won't take it.

Customer:

I think I saw win 7 service pack 1.

LKT :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know when you have tried this:

Click Start and in the Run box type slui.exe 4 and press enter

Customer:

have done it. got US phone numbers.

LKT :

Good, now all you need to do is follow the instructions. If the key is good all is well.

Customer:

ok. do u hang on while I call?

LKT :

Sure I can wait around, no problem

Customer:

I was told to call back after 1/2 hour to help with activation. could not do it automatically

LKT :

Was it too busy at the moment?

Customer:

don't know. just said could not do it auto, to please call back and they would help me with the installation.

LKT :

Oh ok. You'll have live help.

LKT :

So, there shouldn't be any problem.

Customer:

when in between time?

LKT :

You can let the know about the 0 O when you talk to them.

Customer:

do I go off line now?

LKT :

I don't think you need my help any further. But if you do have a question you can always come back to this page and ask me. When I get the message I'll return ASAP.

Customer:

great.-+

LKT :

Thanks. Don't forget to rate me below! :)

Customer:

I forgot to write down the Microsoft number

LKT :

Oh thats fine. Just do the steps again

LKT :

Customer:

thanks. you are deajing with old postmenopausal man here

LKT :

:-D No problem!

LKT :

Since you are waiting, do me a favor, right click "Computer" and select properties. Then tell me what edition your Windows is. Then look at the key sticker and tell me the windows edition that is labeled there

LKT :

When you get a moment let me know what you found.

Customer:

I have tried 3 times to get this done and 3 times I get someone who doesn't speak English. I gert so far and then I just can't understand. am very hearing impaired.

LKT :

Oh, bad accent from the phone line?

Customer:

no, bad accent from people. my hearing just will not allow me to understand accents.

LKT :

Oh I see. Is there someone around who can help out?

Customer:

no. my daughter is as deaf as I am. may can get someone tomorrow.

LKT :

Oh ok, best of luck to you.

Customer:

what do I do now?

LKT :

Well, you have to wait for tomorrow to call the number and get activated and you should be fine. To end this chat, you can just rate me below. Then if you have any questions after having someone call for you, you can come back to this page for answers.

LKT, IT Support
Experience: A+,CCNA, BS Network Communications