Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  20 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt

When I upload a video to youtube, vertical lines appear on

When I upload a video to youtube, vertical lines appear on the edge of the image that people see before the video starts to play. It gives the image a bunched up look. This gives the landing page where I place the video an unprofessional appearance. How can I stop this from happening? I have a Mac and use Safari. The video is 452.4 MB, dimensions 950 x 540. The video is about 3 minutes long. Not high definition.
Category: Computer
Expert:  replied 11 months ago.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Hello. My name isXXXXX will be your Primary Care Technician and I can assist you with your question.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Can you please provide a link to the video with which you are having a problem so I can take a look?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Is this the video, or just the thumbnail image that you have the problem with?

Customer:

You can see it at http://www.masterfulonlinedating.com

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

OK... one sec

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

This actually looks good to me so far.

Customer:

The actual video is fine. It's just the still image that people see before they play the video.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

That looks correct to me as well. Is it on this page, or on the Youtube site?

Customer:

It's on the page. You don't notice anything strange on the right edge of the image?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I see a very small sliver next to the curtain... is that what you mean? If so, I can tell you how to fix that.

Customer:

Yes.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Ok.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

The aspect ratio is slightly off from the 16:9 that Youtube is displaying.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

and youtube doesn't use safe margins.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

are those the exact dimensions of the original?

Customer:

I'm not sure. It says the dimensions are 960 x 540.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

on your computer?

Customer:

Yes

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

When you go to your video manager, you should see the thumbnails. Does the thumbnail appear the same way?

Customer:

Yes

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Is there another one there that you can select that looks OK?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

This is all you have to change to correct it.

Customer:

I've also tried uploading different versions of the video with different lengths so that I get different thumbnail options.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

What you can do is create a thumbnail image and then click "custom thumbnail and then just upload it.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

That way you have control over what it looks like.

Customer:

I did that. I didn't have to select custom because I got the thumbnail I wanted, but I had the same problem.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

In the thumbnail that you upload. you must crop it so that it doesn't contain anything in it that you don't want.

Customer:

Yes, it was perfect.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

The problem is that your video does contain that edge that you don't want to see.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

That is part of the video

Customer:

But I don't see it anywhere in the video, and it comes up with every different thumbnail.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

It's in the video. Trust me. If you want to send me an image, I can crop it properly for you.

Customer:

Ok. Give me a second.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

ok

Customer:

When I click the attach icon on this page, it asks me a bunch of questions. What's the easiest way to send it?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

just upload to wikisend.com and then give me the code it gives you

Customer:

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Here's one I made from the video

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

with a capture

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

If you upload that as a custom thumbnail, it should look correct.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Still there?

Customer:

http://wikisend.com/download/281552/Screen shot 2013-08-15 at 12.30.01 PM.png

Customer:

Here's the link

Customer:

Sorry about the delay, I didn't realize I needed to scroll down to see your last message.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Oh... don't worry.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Download that and then upload as a custom thumbnail. Yours was actually already very close.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Once you upload it and select it, it should be set as the default thumbnail.

Customer:

Interesting. I'll try it.

Customer:

I simply upload it after clicking custom thumbnail?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Yes

Customer:

How exactly do I upload it? If I download the image onto my computer won't it have all the white space around it?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

No.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

You should be able to just copy that link and paste it in there, too

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

when you upload.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

If you want to do it right from my site.

Customer:

Oh, I'll try that.

Customer:

I'm a little confused, because when I click custom thumbs, it takes me to my files.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Yes... then just paste that link in there.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

and click ok

Customer:

Yes, I just tried to upload it after saving it in a file, but I was told to try again. I'm presently trying again.

Customer:

Hmmm. Still didn't work.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Didn't upload?

Customer:

No.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

You can try this one. A jpg instead of png. http://brainchamber.com/Thumb16x9.jpg

Customer:

I'll try.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Ok. That definitely should work.

Customer:

It worked!

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

That's why they call me "Mr. Make things happen"

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Ok... nobody calls me that.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

It might take a little while to update the thumbnail.

Customer:

Something seems to be wrong because I still have the lines.

Customer:

Maybe I didn't save the change. I'll try again.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

It might take a little while to update.

Customer:

It's fixed! Thank you so much. Would it be possible to explain how you fixed the image so that I can do it for myself in the future if I have this problem again?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

No.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

OK

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Actually, all I did was go into photoshopp

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Then I clicked on crop and I set the dimensions to 16x9, pulled in the edges a tiny bit and cropped

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

then saved

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I did that because youtube will display it in those proportions

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

And by doing that I was able to make sure we were controlling exactly what was contained in those proportions

Customer:

Is there anything I should know about how much to pull in the edges?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Just a tiny bit... as long as you can see that you are cropping inside the edges... that's the only reason... to make sure you are not cropping outside the original, which is possible to do in photoshop.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Ideally, you can crop your source video to 16x9

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

And then you don't have to worry about the thumbnail.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Your video is ever so slightly wider than 16x9

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

But we are not seeing the extra on the sides because youtube cuts it off.

Customer:

Ok, great! Thanks.

Experience: 20 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt