Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

I have a Lenovo Thinkcentre Edge 71z and Want to know how to

I have a Lenovo Thinkcentre Edge 71z and Want to know how to recover system after a power failure during a bios update wont do anything now
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 1 year ago.

KamilAnwar :

Hi

KamilAnwar :

I would like to assist you with this question today. Are you still there?

Customer:

Yes was having lunch sorry and was on the wrong page

KamilAnwar :

Ok - I will instruct here what should be done now.

KamilAnwar :

If power to your computer is interrupted while BIOS is being updated, your computer might not restart correctly. The Clear CMOS/Recovery jumper enables you to restart the system and recover the BIOS.

To perform a Flash/BIOS recovery using the Clear CMOS/Recovery jumper, use the following procedure:

Customer:

yes continue

KamilAnwar :

1. Turn off the computer and any attached devices, such as printers, monitors, and external drives.

2. Unplug all power cords from electrical outlets, and remove the cover.

3. Locate the Clear CMOS/Recovery jumper on the system board.

4. If necessary, remove any adapters that impede access to the Clear CMOS/Recovery jumper.

5. Move the jumper from the standard position (pins 1 and 2) to pins 2 and 3.

6. Replace any adapters that were removed.

7. Replace the cover.

8. Reconnect the power cords for the computer and monitor to electrical outlets.

9. Insert the POST/BIOS update (flash) diskette into drive A, and turn on the computer and the monitor. The system will begin to beep.

10. After the update session is completed, there will be no video and the series of beeps will end. Remove the diskette from the diskette drive, and turn off the computer and monitor.

11. Unplug the power cords from electrical outlets.

12. Remove the cover.

13. If necessary, remove any adapters that impede access to the Clear CMOS/Recovery jumper.

14. Return the Clear CMOS/Recovery jumper to its original position.

15. Replace any adapters that were removed.

16. Replace the cover and reconnect any cables that were disconnected.

17. Turn on the computer to restart the operating system.

18. You may now want to update the BIOS normally. Refer to the readme.txt file that came with your flash BIOS update.

Customer:

Thank you I will try that

KamilAnwar :

I see that it may be difficult for you to perform these steps (as you will need a flash diskette or CD) too therefore i would like to know if this system is still under warranty?

KamilAnwar :

You should only do this if you feel 100% confident that you will be able to perform all the steps otherwise i will not recommend it.

KamilAnwar :

You can view/download the flash bios versions from http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS019784

Customer:

I created a flash CD to update the bios on another computer after I had the problem with the power while updating through windows hopefully that will work

KamilAnwar :

There are a number of authorized service providers for Lenovo in Australia who may be able to fix this quickly and easily as well.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_GB/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?DocID=HT002817

KamilAnwar :

So my recommendation No: 1 (Have it fixed through an authorized Lenovo Center) BECAUSE if any step is performed incorrectly, it may short the motherboard or cause other serious problem that may void the warranty.

Customer:

No worries if I still have problems I will either contact you again or take it to a service centre thank you for all your help

KamilAnwar :

No problem - Would you like me to assist any further on this?

Customer:

No should be ok now

KamilAnwar :

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE, otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question. If there is any problem, please discuss - I will continue to assist you until you are satisfied instead of negatively rating.

Experience: 8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.