LKT
LKT, IT Support
Experience:  A+,CCNA, BS Network Communications

i have a gateway model ne56r13u that is blinking white with

i have a gateway model ne56r13u that is blinking white with gray/blank on the left side. this started last Wednesday after coming back from an interview. was working prior so i am confuse. I took battery out and hit the power button to remove excess charges. put battery back and turn power on with same results. I do noticed that power light is blue. I also power of and hit any of f keys to connect to the bios screen or dos.
Category: Computer
Expert:  LKT replied 12 months ago.

LKT :

Hello

LKT :

Is it a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner without nothing else on the screen?

LKT :

Also, what happens when you hit the keys to get into bios?

Customer:

the hole screen is blinking white. when hitting the power back on and hitting the f key nothing happens. it still blinks

LKT :

Oh I see. So nothing at all appears on the screen. Nothing visible just the blinking light?

Customer:

i should point out did a search on this problem and nothing was found. other similar problems that blink but not like this

LKT :

I've actually have seen this problem before, it was due to a loose screen connection to the mainboard.

Customer:

this is my son's machine I bought for him last August. I batch the same model but newer version

LKT :

Oh, I would advise that your first step is to check warranty since it is so new.

Customer:

the warranty ends in two or three weeks.

LKT :

They will accept if its still under warranty with any amount of time left.

Customer:

we did contact

Customer:

gateway

LKT :

What did they say?

Customer:

they told us with the same scenario i gave you that it might be a damage screen so it would hot be covered

Customer:

they won't know unless we ship for $35. I wanted an answer to the problem and a solution.

LKT :

Wow, thats terrible it parts failure. I've seen it on many gateways, they are bad at the hinges and alot of the connection go through there.

Customer:

I even with the best buy but had to turn over the machine

Customer:

so what you are saying that there is a solution

Customer:

I am able to fix myself if you gave the solution

LKT :

Best Buy will be expensive. The best bet is to let Gateway fix, especially if you have days of warranty on it. You can tell them it is there fault since its their parts that have failed prematurely. Also, try taking it back to where you bought it? The solution is to open it up and check the connections are secure, that would be the first thing I would do if the laptop was sitting in front of me.

Customer:

so if it is a connection the reconnoitering would fix or would i need a new part?

Customer:

i meant re connecting

LKT :

If its the connection then reconnecting is the solution. I have seen this work many times, those connection come loose often, especially in gateways because they have bad hinges. I do not want to give you false hope, but that is what I would do if this was in front of me.

LKT :

If the connections are secure and the problem still persists, you have two options, buy screen online (cost around 50) or take the data off the laptop and save your time and money for a replacement.

Customer:

I think the processor is still good. when the power is on the light is blue.

LKT :

If you see the lights on and the maybe a blinking light it may be good. Try pressing a bit firmly around the hinges near the monitor if the screen starts changing, then you can be sure a connection issue.

Customer:

I guess that is the solution and this was worth my time and the fee.

Customer:

is there anything else that i should know before leaving?

LKT :

It is the solution really, I wish the best for you. I'd check out some youtube videos on how to open your model. They usually have those on there step by step.

Customer:

I found one for this model. I just wanted to confirm with another source on the problem and the solution..

LKT :

I see, very good. I wish you the best!

LKT, IT Support
Experience: A+,CCNA, BS Network Communications