LKT
LKT, IT Support
Experience:  A+,CCNA, BS Network Communications
34552149

Hi:I seemed to have closed my computer using the button on

Hi:I seemed to have closed my computer using the button on the front. When I restarted it said that I had improperly shut down and to restart by clicking on restart.I tried by moving the down arrow to different starting positions and was unable to restart. After months I tried to restart and now I can not get the curser to move or the up-down arrows to move. What could be the answer to this problem?
Thanks

LKT :

Hello

LKT :

So if I understand correctly you are trying to choose from options but the keyboard is not responsive? Can I know which option you have?

LKT :

Also, are the lights on your keyboard lit up when you turn on the computer? Have you checked to make sure there is a good connection for the keyboard?

Customer:

start windows normally

LKT :

Oh, i see. Same screen that has Safe Modes.

LKT :

Does your keyboard lights come on?

Customer:

Safe mode,safe mode with networking,safe mode with comand prompt,and last known good configuration

Customer:

Yes

LKT :

And you cannot press up or down.

LKT :

Which mode does it boot up into?

Customer:

No I can not

LKT :

What mode do you boot into?

Customer:

I am a novice and can not answer this question

LKT :

Oh ok, so when you let it turn on does it go to the Window Sign in screen? Or does it stay at that options screen to choose from?

Customer:

windows

LKT :

Does the keyboard not work when Windows is on?

Customer:

I can not start windows

LKT :

What point is the computer stuck at?

Customer:

It starts off saying we apoligize for the inconvenience,windows did not start successfully. If you are not sure what caused the problem,choose start windows normally.

LKT :

Oh I see. What version of windows do you have? Windows 7? XP?

Customer:

not sure

LKT :

What you will need is the CD/DVD that came with the computer to start a repair of the system.

LKT :

Basically what will happen is you put that cd into the drive. Boot into the CD and you should get options to "repair" run through it and it should find any errors and hopefully fix em.

LKT :

If its not too much trouble, is it possible to try another keyboard so we can rule a bad keyboard out?

Customer:

Won't be able to tonight,tomorrow ok?

LKT :

Ok, no problem. If the keyboard is not the problem, you will need the CD/DVD to continue.

Customer:

Thanks LKT.

LKT :

You are very welcome.