ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a computer technician.
56108293

My Satelite U505 has recently become slow to start and freezes

Customer Question

My Satelite U505 has recently become slow to start and freezes when I am inactive for a time or it goes into sleep mode. What do you suggest I do to restore performance and prevent these freezes without losing important saved data?
Category: Computer
Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 year ago.

ChrisC :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be happy to help you today!

ChrisC :

Computers getting slow and "freezy" is unfortunately a common problem but luckily because it is common there are numerous free programs out there that can and will help

ChrisC :

Id recommend a few different things

Customer:

Tell me.

ChrisC :

1: We should do a full virus scan on it. Viruses and spyware is the number one cause of this issue. They run in the background and slow everything down. I like to use a free program called MalwareBytes. You can download it here (click here) the download will start automatically so no need to click anything else on that page. Install it and do a full scan.

Customer:

I've already done a full scan using ESET NOD 4. It shows no virus problem. Do I need to do this additional download and scan?

ChrisC :

2: It could possibly be that some unnecessary programs are running in the background. You can get a full list of what is running and disable them by going to Start\all programs\accessories and choosing run. In the run box type in "Msconfig" without the quotes and then click on the startup tab. Here you can uncheck anything not needed. I usually recommend unchecking most everything except anything related to printers or antivirus

ChrisC :

Yes Id say still do the scan

ChrisC :

no one program is comprehensive and they will not conflict with one another

Customer:

Ok hold on. I'll download and do the scan and let you know what i learn from it. Hold on. . .

ChrisC :

3: Many computers have issues in general with sleep or hibernation. This is a very common issue. I usually recommend you just turn the setting off. You can do this by going to the start menu and in the search box type in "power options". In power options you will see the settings

ChrisC :

No worries. Take your time. The scan might take a while and may require a reboot should something be found. I would book mark this page using CTRL + D just in case.

ChrisC :

That will enable you to come back and reply which is always possible even after a rating. I am here to help until this is resolved :)

Customer:

While it's downloading, I'll do as you suggest and turn the hibernation setting off.

ChrisC :

Id definitely recommend it. Windows never was very good at hibernating :)

Customer:

I am now running the malware scan -- after it froze for a while. Meanwhile I did not see the settings option under Power Options. I'll look again and see if I missed something. . .

Customer:

Ok, I found it, and turned the hibernating options to "never" -- both on power and battery. And accepted ok. So that should stop the hibernating. . .

ChrisC :

Yes it should

ChrisC :

And given it is already running slowly that scan could take a bit

Customer:

The full malware scan is running. 31,000 plus files checked in first 4 minutes and so far nothing found. . . it is still working.

Customer:

Now 35,000 files scanned and still no malware found, but lots more files to go. . .

ChrisC :

ok while this is running Id try the second suggestion as well using MSconfig

ChrisC :

Note: any changes you make in there will not become afective until you reboot

Customer:

Let me go back to that.

ChrisC :

No worries. Take your time

Customer:

I'm not sure which ones to turn off -- what if they are by Toshiba? by Intel? by HP - my printer? by Realtek? Synaptics? ESET (my virus protection)? Google? Sugar Sync (my cloud backup system)? PC Tools (registry mechanic, etc)? Microsoft Office? Adobe? Java?

ChrisC :

Toshiba should be safe to turn off, intel no, hp no, realtek no, synaptics, no, eset no, google yes, sugarsync no, pc tools yes, Microsoft office yes, adobe yes, Java yes

Customer:

68,000 files scanned so far and no malware detected, still scanning.

ChrisC :

Good

Customer:

Ok, going back to start up list and disabling the ones you marked "Yes" -- meaning safe to turn off at start up. Is that what you mean and are recommending that I do?

ChrisC :

Yes

ChrisC :

Yes means turn off

Customer:

Ok, just wanted to make sure. I've unchecked the boxes as you suggest -- now hit "oK" or "apply"?

ChrisC :

Apply and then ok

ChrisC :

It will prompt you to restart

ChrisC :

say restart later

ChrisC :

We need to let the scan finish

Customer:

83,000 files scanned and no malware -- yet.

ChrisC :

Thats a good thing I hope. If these measure do not help it could be that your hard drive is slowing down and getting ready to fail. Thats obviously not a good thing

Customer:

Ok, got it on the start up directions.

ChrisC :

I like to start with the easiest stuff firts

Customer:

I hit applly, then ok, then exit without restart.

ChrisC :

Perfect

Customer:

Now -88000 files scanned and no malware -- yet.

Customer:

Otherwise waiting. . . right?

ChrisC :

Yes. Lets let the scan finish

ChrisC :

I wouldnt think it would take much longer

Customer:

If I restart this thing to let the various changes I've made go into effect, won't I lose connection with you?

ChrisC :

You will however if you book mark this page you will be able to get back

Customer:

I've book marked the page. Will that get me back on with you?

ChrisC :

It will :)

ChrisC :

This question stays open even after were done and even after a rating. That bookmark will get you back here

Customer:

96,000 files and still scanning with 0 malware.

Customer:

Just had a small freeze. . .

ChrisC :

hmm ok. lets see if it finishes

Customer:

malware scan has frozen. i've just tried to shut down other programs that were stuck too -- managed to do that -- skype and spotify. Are you having trouble with other spotify users?

ChrisC :

No not that I am aware of

ChrisC :

Id say go on and reboot

Customer:

the scan is running again -- 98,000 files and rolling -- zero malware detects

ChrisC :

ah ok

ChrisC :

then let it finish

ChrisC :

Ill be curious to see if a reboot helps

Customer:

waiting as scan runs -- 102,000 files + = Zero mw

ChrisC :

great

Customer:

1o7,000 files + and all good so far . . . running

ChrisC :

Perfect

ChrisC :

Let it finish and if it finds anythign remove it. Then reboot. Ill be back in five minutes.

Customer:

109,000 and now 1 detected. then scanning froze, waiting to see if it unfreezes. . .

Customer:

back rolling. . .

Customer:

110,425, but now frozen again. . .

Customer:

now rolling again. . .

Customer:

keep freezing periodically, then after a wait unfreezing and continuing to roll -- now over 112,000 files.

Customer:

Is there anything I should be doing to delete or quarntine the one malware file that has been detected?

ChrisC :

Not yet

ChrisC :

You will have the option to remove it after the scan completed

ChrisC :

*completes

Customer:

scan is stuck at 114,751, but not complete. . . just frozen again. . .

Customer:

on for a while, then re-freezes. .. . now only at 114, 947 and holding

Customer:

now rolling again -- 116,000 +

ChrisC :

Great

ChrisC :

Yeah Ive seen that happen before where it will freeze and then restart

ChrisC :

as long as it continues to restart were good

Customer:

i'm glad i'm not paying by the minute.

ChrisC :

Ha I know, right?

Customer:

now at 120K and rolling again. . .

ChrisC :

Perfect

Customer:

picking up some speed - 125K and still rolling. . .

Customer:

130K and still rolling. . .

ChrisC :

Hopefully it will finish soon

Customer:

yeah, but when it crossed the 130K line it stopped . . . and not only is it not responding, but the screen for the scan has gone blank. . . .

Customer:

now it's back and running again. . . .

ChrisC :

Awesome. I bet its going to freeze like that off and on until its done

Customer:

that's the way it looks. if you can hang in there until we get through this, i can.

ChrisC :

Ha I dont have anywhere to be. Just remember to rate once this is all said and done ;)

Customer:

over 140K and still rolling. . .

Customer:

yes, i won't forget to rate. . .

Customer:

still scanning . . .

ChrisC :

Ha wow

ChrisC :

How are we looking?

Customer:

I'm back. sorry. we got cut off. scan still running - 165K + only 1 malware item. . .

Customer:

is there a way to recapture our earlier chat at some point. I want to save your instructions.

ChrisC :

Sure you can always come back to review. You should also get an email

Customer:

I lost all but the portion 3:53 or later. . .

Customer:

will the email have the entire conversation?

ChrisC :

It should yes

ChrisC :

If not you can always reply

ChrisC :

But once the chat has ended the whole thing should be visible

Customer:

Ok. then I can copy and paste and save.

Customer:

I"m back. scan still running - now at 175K

ChrisC :

Wow thats a lot of files

Customer:

i have 387 GB free of the 454 GB capacity on this computer. So the number of files should not be the cause of the slowdown. And until recently it was doing ok.

ChrisC :

Well lets hope it performs better after the reboot

Customer:

yes, indeed. that's the test. i appreciate your patience.

ChrisC :

No worries :)

Customer:

i am hoping that the computer starts much faster once we reboot, but if it doesn't it can take up to 10 minutes or so for me to reconnect. i hope this will not happen.

ChrisC :

We shall see

ChrisC :

Still scanning?

Customer:

Just said "scan completed successfully".

ChrisC :

Perfect. Click show results

ChrisC :

and then make sure the box is checked and click remove selected

Customer:

did that. now it says to shut down to remove the threat.

ChrisC :

ok go ahead and reboot\

Customer:

will do, and will check back after I see how it works post-reboot.

ChrisC :

Perfect. Ill be here

Customer:

I'm back. You can see from the time slugs that it takes almost 10 min to start after a reboot. I'd don't if we'll have any more freezes but the slow start has not been resolved.

Customer:

AND it just froze again for a few seconds.

Customer:

so now what?

Customer:

you there, Chris?

ChrisC :

Sorry

ChrisC :

I am here

ChrisC :

I think perhaps your hard drie is having issues

ChrisC :

We should do a check disk on it however that is going to take as long as that scan and we will not be able to chat while it happens

ChrisC :

I can walk you through getting it started

Customer:

Ok, send me what there is to be done.

ChrisC :

ok go to start\all programs\accessories and click run

ChrisC :

in the run box type

ChrisC :

cmd

ChrisC :

then in the new black box type

ChrisC :

chkdsk c: /r

ChrisC :

It will say that it cannot do this now do you want to schedule it for next reboot

ChrisC :

Say yes and then reboot.

ChrisC :

It will scan while it is booting next time

ChrisC :

You will nto be able to use the computer while it is scanning

Customer:

Is that if?

ChrisC :

Thats it. It will check the entire drive for errors

Customer:

is that it?

Customer:

And if it finds some, then what?

ChrisC :

and repair them if it finds any

Customer:

Ok. how about I try that tonight then check in with you tomorrow?

ChrisC :

Sounds good

Customer:

Are you on tomorrow?

ChrisC :

I will be. I will get an email when you reply

Customer:

What should I do about the rating? I think you've been terrific so far, but we don't have resolution of the basic problem.

ChrisC :

That is totally up to you :) The question stays open even after a rating. Its your choice

Customer:

when does the payment transfer?

ChrisC :

The site has already taken payment. All rating does is ensure I get credit for the time

Customer:

You should get credit for the time. No question about that. But I want to make sure this process does not end with me in the same basic predicament that caused me to use this site in the first place.

ChrisC :

I understand completely

Customer:

So how do I ensure a satisfactory resolution?

ChrisC :

Well just do the scan and we can follow up after that. I will say however that it is possible that Windows is just trashed so to speak. After all these measure if it is still not resolved, a reoad may be in order

ChrisC :

*reload

Customer:

What do you mean reload?

ChrisC :

A reload of Windows 7

ChrisC :

Basically backup everything and reload from scratch

Customer:

I don't get it, but are you saying that Windows will allow me to get a replacement for my Windows 7 system free or that I might have to buy a replacement?

Customer:

And how do I back up everything?

ChrisC :

No it should be free if there is a sticker on the machine with a product key. You can download the disk

ChrisC :

There are numerous methods

ChrisC :

the best is to copy anything important to something external such as an external hard drive

Customer:

Ok, what about how to back up all these files?

Customer:

Ok. wow -- let's hope that's not necessary.

ChrisC :

Yeah its a lot

Customer:

I'll rate that the services was "good" so you get credit for the time -- I actually think it was better than good, but I also want the record to show that the problem for which I called was not resolved despite your patience and good instructions to me.

ChrisC :

Understood

ChrisC :

And we can continue tomorrow

Customer:

Ok. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX and out. I'll hopefully be back in touch tomorrow with some good news. Will the same page work?

ChrisC :

Yes it will :)

Customer:

Ok, take care. Thanks.

ChrisC :

You're Welcome

ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Over 15 years experience as a computer technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Chris: My laptop is running faster, but it is still freezing periodically and still slow to start. I started following your instructions to clean the disc, but when I put in chkdsk c: /r in the black box, it said "denied" and that I did not have privileges for this command. Can you tell me what to do next? Jeff Schwartz, XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX, XXX-XXX-XXXX.

Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 year ago.
Ok try this:
Do the same thing however to get the black box go to start\all programs\accessories and right click on command prompt and choose "run as administrator". Then type in chkdsk c: /r
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Chris,

I just tried what you suggested above. I did using the quotes and without the quotes. Both times the black box responded: "run as administrator" (and 'run') is "not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." So what next?

Jeff

XXX-XXX-XXXX

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 year ago.
Sorry what I meant is not to type run as administrator but rather to go to the start menu and choose all programs\ and then accessories. Locate "command prompt" and RIGHT click it. One of the items in the menu that comes up should say "run as administrator". THEN youll get the black box and type "chkdsk c: /r"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for checking. The help you gave me did provide some additional speed for the laptop, but I'm still having the basic problems that I contacted you for in the first place -- slow start up and frequent freezing. I was going to try to back up my files and then replace the operating system -- Windows 7, but after I bought the hard drive and tried to do the backup, the system kept failing to complete -- stalling at 7% download. So I am kind of stumped.

I did not have time before today (Saturday) to try to do the disc check with the additional information you gave me, but I am planning to try that today.

If you want to talk about this, I can be available at XXX-XXX-XXXX.

I do not blame you. I appreciate the time you put in with me. Regrettably, however, I cannot say that we solved the problem.

Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 year ago.
Ill be happy to continue helping. Just let me know!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chris. Thanks. I ran the C disc scan. It found and presumably fixed a few errors. But this did not solve problem. When I restarted, the system got stuck on the "Welcome" screen. So I am now operating in safe networking mode. I am going to try again to reboot and see if things are any better. But I think not. I just got an error bubble message saying I have corrupted file and should do a C drive disc scan. I'm not sure what to do next. Jeff

Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 year ago.
For me I think this sort of sums it up. We were doing the scan of the drive to see if perhaps it is what was causing the slowness. I believe that this lets us know that the drive is in fact what is happening. Your hard drive is likely beginning to fail. Luckily it is still functional enough to where you can get everything off of it, but I believe replacing the drive and reloading Windows is ultimately what you are going to need to do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chris,

Running the dsk scan of the C: drive didn't work the first time, but running it again seemed to solve the basic problem. Not 100% but close. Start up is now a lot faster. Fewer freezes are occurring (but not 100% freeze free.) Overall speed is improved.

I tried buying an external hard drive to back the C drive up that way (Seagate 3Tb) Backup plus. But the backup stops at 57% and says backup not completed. I tried to disable the ESET NOD virus ware and tried it all again after disconnecting the external hard drive -- as suggested by a web site dealing with this issue -- but to no avail. I tried backing up to a DVD rather than the external hard drive. Same problem. So I am most of the way home, but still not clear how to get an effective backup to the external hard drive. Jeff

Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 year ago.
Lets try using the built in Windows backup software. You get to this by going to start menu and in the search box type backup and restore. Then choose set up backup. Follow the prompts and choose the external drive. Let it do a full backup. Lets see if that completes :)

I would definitely recommend doing the backup. Im glad that this scan seems to have helped however I do think this means hard drive problems in the future.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chris,

I've already done all that with no success. I tried backing up to the external Seagate drive that I just purchased and to the DVD disc. In each case the back up effort stopped at 57% and the back up was not completed.

What next? Jeff

Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 year ago.
Hmm.. Its possible something has gone wrong with the built in backup software due to the issues you were having. We should try another.

This one is free. Try downloading it and see if you get the same issue (click here)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chris,

Thanks so much for the follow up. I've now used the free app you've provided the link for to back up my c drive and the system.There was no apparent problem.

So -- Now what?

What are the next steps to be taken?

Jeff

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 year ago.
That should be it :)
It sounds like we've solved all the problems. I'd just recommend keeping your backup current just in case and just keep using it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I thought you were suggesting that once the backup occurred, I should somehow replace the Windows 7 operating system. Did I misunderstand? If I didn't misunderstand, what are the steps to replacing the Windows 7 operating system?

Jeff

Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 year ago.
Oh I was suggesting you replace it if the issue didnt appear resolved. If you'd like to replace it you'll need a windows 7 disk. If you can check for a product sticker on the machine, verify there is one, and also tell me what version of Windows 7 it has I can provide a download link for a disk image.