LKT
LKT, IT Support
Experience:  A+,CCNA, BS Network Communications
34552149

Blue Ray is connected to internet but connection to gateway

Blue Ray is connected to internet but connection to gateway shows fail. Unable to connect to Netflix
Category: Computer
Expert:  LKT replied 1 year ago.

LKT :

Hello, can you tell me the model of your blu-ray player?

Customer:

LKT,

LKT :

Hello

LKT :

Can I have the model of your blu-ray please?

Customer:

I have a new Panasonic DMP-89 that I am trying to hook up to the router. It has a test where "connection to the wireless network and "IP address setting" both pass but "connection to gateway" and Connection to the Internet fail.

LKT :

I see, is there a wired option you can test before we troubleshoot the wireless?

Customer:

Also I have Samsung BD-D5500 that has been given me headaches when I try to connect to Netflix as well

Customer:

Unfortunately the Blue Rays are 20 -30 feet away from router

LKT :

I see, what kind of signal are you getting? Are there any wall in between>?

Customer:

On my PC I have full strength. On the Panasonic I have 2 out of 5 bars. Samsung has 5/5 (it is in same room as router)

Customer:

The PC and Panasonic are currently in the same room

LKT :

Im sure you double checked your security settings and reentered this info when connecting to the wifi?

Customer:

The Panasonic had me enter a security code to connect. that is all I did

LKT :

How many times have you entered the security code?

Customer:

I entered the code on the brand new Panasonic today at setup. The Samsung was months ago. It has worked intermittently.

LKT :

Try to set up your Panasonic one more time, take extra care with the passcode. Also, is it possible to get the Panasonic closer to the router, or at least take it really close for testing. I think you may be having a signal issue. Those Panasonics are shipped with low grade wifi cards, which is why they have an additional slot for an external wireless card.

Customer:

That's what I was wondering, does the laptops have better antenas than these stupid blue ray players and that is why the signal can cut it and out as well as fail to connect

LKT :

Yes, the laptop has a far superior antenna, most likely two

Customer:

so can I get an extra long cable for direct hookup to the router

Customer:

do I have any other options

LKT :

Yeah, you could. That or move the blu-ray closer, but I think a long cable should suite the job.

Customer:

Ok, On my Panasonic my connection status is "connected" but my reception is currently one bar

Customer:

However the Samsung is 5/5 and still I can't get netflix

LKT :

You have another option called Powerline ethernet if you do not want to run a cable 40 ft, it goes through the power outlets, check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Compact-Powerline-Ethernet-TPL-406E2K/dp/B008F537KC/ref=pd_cp_pc_1

LKT :

On the samsung, can you get out anywhere other than netflix?

Customer:

On the Samsung I can connect to other internet sites like BBC or CNBC but not Netflix

LKT :

You might need to update the app (if it wasnt pre-installed) or update the firmware of the bluray player (these updates usually come out automatically when there is an issue like this), check you settings and see if you can look for updates.

LKT :

What model is it?

Customer:

we did the Samsung update yesterday.

LKT :

Oh, has it not worked since then?

Customer:

Samsung model bd-d5500

Customer:

we lost Netflix about a week ago, it still isn't back

LKT :

Hmm, sounds like the association with your account was lost.

LKT :

I would advise you do a factory restore on your bluray player (you'll have to set up the wifi again) and sign back into netflix

Customer:

ok, how?

LKT :

Hold the stop button on the front panel for 10 seconds while the blu ray is on.

Customer:

done

LKT :

Ok, it should have reset everything. Verify if you can go onto netflix, or if it asks for a network connection.

Customer:

Netflix page started and then froze. the only way out historically is to power it off

LKT :

Is there a disc in the tray?

Customer:

yes

LKT :

Take it out. Then hold the stop button 10 secs again

LKT :

You should see a setup screen when this is done.

Customer:

yes, I set it up and entered the WEP code. and it says internet is connected

LKT :

Ok, try your netflix.

Customer:

it says it's downloading...then installing....to get to smart hub page

LKT :

Oh ok, sounds like everything from the very begining. Keep me updated when you try the netflix.

Customer:

so it reinstalled all the Samsung apps including Netflix. Then went to Netflix, but same thing... red Netflix page freezes

LKT :

Check another app for me, see if that works.

LKT :

Do you have an info button your remote?

Customer:

yes I have info button

LKT :

While the netflix app is open can you press "info"?

Customer:

sorry, i had to turn off blu ray and restart, as there is no other way to exit out once it freezes.

Customer:

now it is reinstalling the apps again since i turned it off and back on.

LKT :

Ok, interesting. Let it install. Once its finished turn it off and on again and test netflix

Customer:

retested Netflix, still same result

Customer:

info button doesn't get anything when Netflix app is on

Customer:

Netflix still freezing and info button didn't do anything

LKT :

Hmm, it sounds like the firmware update has a bug which is causing the netflix app to not run correctly. You will have to wait for another update by samsung

Customer:

I will try another app

LKT :

Oh, sorry, I thought you had already tried that. Yes, please let me know how that works, so we can be sure its not a network issue.

LKT :

Let me know the results.

Customer:

I tried BBC and it froze on black blank screen

LKT :

Interesting, test your wireless connection from your laptop. Lets make sure its working

Customer:

hello

LKT :

Are you having problems with the chat feature?

LKT :

Hello?

Customer:

checked network to blu ray and it states" local connection is completed but cannot connect to the internet"

Customer:

I seem to be having spotty internet connection

LKT :

I see that, you are coming in and out of the chat.

LKT :

Restart your router, maybe thats all it needs. I know my wireless router displayed similar symptoms before crashing on me.

Customer:

Why can I watch a movie on computer then?

LKT :

Is it wireless as well?

Customer:

Yes my computer is wireless as well. I shouldn't say it works perfectly, but at least I can get on and watch a movie with minimal difficulty.

LKT :

The way a computer buffers and maintains the connection is a lot different from how the bluray will. Once you're internet connection goes down on the bluray it will stop, on a computer it will maintain til the buffer runs out, but if the connection comes back in it will store more video in the buffer without you seeing any disruption.

LKT :

How old is the router you are using?

Customer:

2-3 years

Customer:

Ethernet cable would help with connection?

LKT :

Hmm, not that old, but there are many things that could go wrong with it.

LKT :

Yes, ethernet cables do help, but if you see the same kind of problems you know its time to buy a new router.

Customer:

thanks for your time, It seems like the internet connection/router is the likely source wouldn't you agree

LKT :

I do agree. You are very welcome.

Customer:

i may do a follow up with you once we get the router fixed. for now I will rate good service. Is that fair

LKT :

Thats fair. If you have questions after come back to this same page and we can work through any issues.

LKT, IT Support
Experience: A+,CCNA, BS Network Communications