IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

i had my laptop changed from windows 8 to windows 7 because

i had my laptop changed from windows 8 to windows 7 because 8 sucks. the repair guy said, he would said my files. after restoring it i found out that all the programs i have were gone, including pictures. all he saved was the document file only. i felt bad :( about this. i am not a computer genious, maybe i didnt understand what he meant by "files". is files different from programs? is file same with document only? pls explain.
Category: Computer
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

"File" is a general term used to identify anything that contains information. So, it can be used to identify your personal documents, pictures, music, text; but also, it can be used to identify a program's component. For example, Internet Explorer consists of many components (program files) which are needed for it to work properly.

Term "my files" can be interpreted as "my documents". Generally, all that you see on your computer can be divided into two main groups: files and folders.

Regarding Windows 8:
Yes, for a standard user that uses a desktop computer, it is not an ideal operating system. It makes more sense for tablet and touch screen users, since, in my opinion, the whole Windows 8 interface is adjusted to touch-screen. So far, Windows 7 is the best choice.

Too bad that the repair guy hadn't saved all your personal documents, pictures, etc (files) when installing Windows 7. Now is too late... Frown

To avoid losing your personal files again, my recommendation is to create a backup of your personal files whenever you can. Use a removable USB drive to copy all important files there. That way, if something happens to your computer, your files are always accessible and mobile, so you can take that USB drive and connect it to another place, for example, at work.

Another solution is to upload your important files to the Internet so it can be accessible at all times, from almost any device. You can install a program named Dropbox which will automatically upload (synchronize) all your files to the Internet. Click on these links below to learn how it works, then you can download and use it (it's free).

Dropbox - VIDEO

Dropbox - web site (download)

I hope this helps!

Let me know if you require further assistance.

IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional