LKT
LKT, IT Support
Experience:  A+,CCNA, BS Network Communications

I formatted my wd passport on my tv, but when i plug it to

I formatted my wd passport on my tv, but when i plug it to my laptop it shows up under hardware and disk management but not under my computer
Category: Computer
Expert:  LKT replied 12 months ago.

LKT :

Hello

LKT :

What you need to do is assign the drive a letter in disk management. It appears as if it lost this when you formatted with the tv. Without being assigned a drive letter you will not be able to see the drive under My Computer.

LKT :

In disk management, you can right-click the wd drive. Select format and let it format, if it does not come up, right click again and select "Change drive letters" and assign anything you want it to be.

LKT :

Let me know if formatting the drive again in Disk Management has fixed the problem.

Customer:

it wont allow me to give it a letter

LKT :

Did you try to format the drive in disk management first?

Customer:

everything is greyed a part from delete volume and help

LKT :

Everything except delete volume and help? Or just delete volume and help is greyed?

Customer:

except delete volume and help

LKT :

Ok, lets try to delete volume and after we can format (make sure this is the wd passport hdd that you want to format as it will erase all data).

LKT :

Let me know if that was succesful.

Customer:

i deleted volume but know its not there anymore

LKT :

Disconnect and reconnect the hdd from your pc

LKT :

Let me know if the PC recognizes it.

Customer:

its showing up where it says disk 0 disk 1

Customer:

under disk management

LKT :

In disk managment? Right-click, does it give you options?

Customer:

convert to dynamic disk, convert mbr, properties

LKT :

Is there any white space to the left of that Disk?

Customer:

yes, it says 465.73 GB unallocated

LKT :

Right click on that open space, what options do you get?

Customer:

new simple volume

LKT :

That is all?

Customer:

properties and help

LKT :

Ok, lets do a new simple volume. Let me know the options you get along the way.

Customer:

it has come up with new simple volume wizard

LKT :

Ok, lets go through it step by step. Let me know the options you have to choose from along the way.

Customer:

specify volume size

LKT :

Use the entire drive size of your wd hdd

Customer:

assign driver letter or path

LKT :

Go ahead and pick anything not in use.

Customer:

format partition

LKT :

What options? NTFS FAT32? Choose NTFS

Customer:

NTFS, exFAT

LKT :

use NTFS

Customer:

allocation size

LKT :

Full, everything

LKT :

Oops, just use the default, sorry

Customer:

volume label

LKT :

Anything you want to name it such as "WD Passport"

Customer:

2 check box, perform quick format and enable file and folder compression

LKT :

Just check quick format and start it up

LKT :

By start it up I mean proceed with the format.

Customer:

its working know

LKT :

Ok, let me know when its done and if you can see it in my computer.

Customer:

i can see it in my computer

LKT :

Awesome, you should be good now!

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX good nite

LKT :

You too!

LKT, IT Support
Experience: A+,CCNA, BS Network Communications