Shefin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

I have an emachines e725. when I turn it on all I get is a

I have an emachines e725. when I turn it on all I get is a cursor in the top left corner. I can push F2 repeatedly and it goes to InsydeH20 setup utility. Not sure what to do then....
Category: Computer
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

S H E F I N :
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.
S H E F I N :
Please let me know when you are ready.
Customer:

ready

S H E F I N :

Please turn off the computer, remove all external devices, battery and Adapter from the computer.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

now what?

S H E F I N :

Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.

Customer:

do i put the battery back in?

S H E F I N :

No.

S H E F I N :

Not with the battery or adapter.

Customer:

ok

S H E F I N :

Then, insert only the adapter and turn on the computer.

Customer:

same. cursor in left corner

S H E F I N :

The issue is the computer is unable to recognize the hard drive.

S H E F I N :

Please press F2 in order to get into Setup.

S H E F I N :

InsydeH20 setup utility

Customer:

ok

S H E F I N :

Are you in setup?

Customer:

im there

Customer:

yes

Customer:

im in setup

S H E F I N :

Do you see Boot or Boot device priority>

Customer:

yes

Customer:

do u want the order?

S H E F I N :

Yes.

Customer:

1. ideo

Customer:

2. ide2

Customer:

3.ide1

Customer:

4.usb fdd

Customer:

4.

Customer:

network boot

Customer:

6

Customer:

usb hdd

Customer:

7. usb cdromm

S H E F I N :

Please select Ide0 as first.

Customer:

it is

S H E F I N :

You do not have an inbuilt CD/DVD drive?

Customer:

yes i do

S H E F I N :

Are you able to select it as Second boot device?

Customer:

hold on..

S H E F I N :

Sure.

Customer:

This is exactly what it says 1. ide0 : wdc wd2500bevt-22a23t0

Customer:

2. ide2

Customer:

3.ide1

Customer:

4usb fdd

S H E F I N :

wdc wd2500bevt-22a23t0 is you hard drive. Right?

Customer:

5. Network boot : Atheros boot agent

Customer:

6. usb hdd

S H E F I N :

Press F9 to load defaults.

Customer:

7. usb cdrom

Customer:

ok nothing changed

S H E F I N :

Press F9/F5 to load defaults.

S H E F I N :

Try F5.

Customer:

pressed f9 no change. f5 is to make a change

S H E F I N :

When you press F5, is it asking to load defaults?

Customer:

no it switched #1 and #2 position

Customer:

ide2 is first now

Customer:

ide0 is 2nd

S H E F I N :

On the setup screen, do you see an options says press Fn key to load optimal defaults?

Customer:

no

S H E F I N :

Try F7 too.

Customer:

should i swtch 1 & 2 back?

S H E F I N :

Yes.

Customer:

f7 does nothing

S H E F I N :

Press F10 to save and exit from BIOS.

Customer:

now what

Customer:

back 2 cursor

S H E F I N :

Are you sure that you have tried F9?

S H E F I N :

Is that your setup screen

Customer:

I have to press ctrl alt del to have the opt o press f2

S H E F I N :

Please be informed that the issue is with your hard drive.

S H E F I N :

You may try opening the computer case, remove the RAM sticks, and hard drive, clean the edges and reseat it properly.

Customer:

just did it again. Nothing changed on the screen. everything is clear. the supervisor password XXXXX had setup for my kids safety is gone

S H E F I N :

If the issue still persists even after reseating the hard drive, you may have to replace it with a new one.

S H E F I N :

Please be informed that the issue is with your hard drive. You may try opening the computer case, remove the RAM sticks, and hard drive, clean the edges and reseat it properly.

S H E F I N :

S H E F I N :

The computer is unable to detect the hard drive.

Customer:

There is no operating system on the bios setup screen

S H E F I N :

Are you getting message says, No operating system found??

Customer:

no but on the screen it only shows data on the emachines. & hardware. No software info

S H E F I N :

That is BIOS Setup utility.

S H E F I N :

Only shows hardware information.

S H E F I N :

The software is on the hard drive, and the computer is unable to detect the hard drive.

Customer:

ok. thank you

S H E F I N :

You have not plugged any external devices, USB devices and CD in to the computer. RIght?

S H E F I N :

No memory card.

S H E F I N :

NO USB drives,

S H E F I N :

No Cds.

Customer:

no. only used for internet

S H E F I N :

If so, the issue is with the hard drive.

S H E F I N :

I understand that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear.

S H E F I N :

But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

S H E F I N :

I would suggest you try opening the computer case, reseating the hard drive and RAM sticks.

S H E F I N :

It may resolve the issue.

Customer:

my luck :[

Customer:

I'll try that

S H E F I N :

I have tried to help you as much I can.

S H E F I N :

Please do not rate poor or bad.

Customer:

Preciate it

S H E F I N :

Thank you!

Shefin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.