Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

How do you completely remove a USB device driver that may have

How do you completely remove a USB device driver that may have been installed incorrectly?
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

That depends on the usb device itself.. Are we talking about a printer, a GPS unit, a wireless keyboard , etc?

And also, if you could provide the name brand and model of the USB device itself, that will help.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is an Instrument Panel from Saitek. The driver is called "Saitek Flight Instrument Panel (Bulk).

I have tried to "uninstall" from the windows "driver" window, but want to know if there are files and reg keys left behind and how to find and delete them.

Thank you for the quick reply and additional details.

First things first...

. First, lets make sure that you have set a password XXXXX a username or email address for your justanswer account.. At the top right of this page, click account.

Then set a password, set a username.. And once thats set..

at the top right click my questions, and you should see our question Click the title of the question ( or click reply to expert ) and you will be back here.

The best way to clear out the registry and any other files that were installed.. Would be to run a simple system restore to the day before you first installed the Saitek drivers. ( if thats feasible to do, and if we dont have to go back several months)

if its only been a few days, or a week.. Then you would only lose the programs that you had installed for the very first time, during those few days or a week. All your pictures, documents, and user data will still be in tact..

Heres how to do the system restore.

Click start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore..

Click, restore my computer to an earlier pont, then click next..

We want to choose a restore point that was at least one day before the issues started..

Carry out the restore. the computer will restart, then let me know if that fixed the issue or not..

System restore is a very effective means to resolve an issue like this, because it will actually restore the registry to the state it was on the restore date we pick. so if you pick a date that was before the USB driver install.. Then it will eliminate the driver, along with any registry entries or temp folders it created.

if you get stuck, run into any issues, or if this doesnt resolve the issue, Please send a reply David, so that I can continue to assist you with this.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green submit button to rate the answer. We can still communicate after rating, as rating does not end the conversation.

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I already know how to do a system restore. I was wanting information on how to remove associated files and reg keys manually so that I can ensure that they are not there.

Ok.. Heres how we would do that.

Please press the windows key on your keyboard , hold it down, and press R

( the windows key is two keys to the left of your spacebar)

type in regedit

hit enter..

Now, first things first.. Do a file, export, on your entire registry, just in case the wrong thing gets deleted by accident. Save the exported copy of your registyr.

Then, inside the registry, Press control F on your keyboard.

Now type in Saitek , hit find next.. delete anything saitek that pops up.. be careful not to delete anything else.

Then, when that is finished and you cant control F anything else saitek.

Delete these keys.

+HKEY_CURRENT_USER
+System
+CurrentControlSet
+Control
+Media Properties
+Private Properties
+Direct Input

Delete any folder inside the Direct Input folder that begins VID_06A3.

Then, delete these two folders from your start, computer, C drive.

4. Delete the Saitek folders from the following paths :
C:\Program Files
C:\Windows\Temp

Once thats done, restart the computer.. And you should be Saitek clean..

Thanks! D.Sandlin