Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  20 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt

My Gateway Netbook LT series is saying: No battery is detected.

My Gateway Netbook LT series is saying: No battery is detected. it was working fine yesterday then today it says this.
Category: Computer
Expert:  replied 12 months ago.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Hello. My name isXXXXX will be your Primary Care Technician and I can assist you with your question.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

When are you seeing the message?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

There are some steps we can take to determine if the battery is causing the issue or if it is something else.

Customer:

as soon as the computer it up and running, it appears at the bottom right corner where the speaker, wifi, date and time show.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Ok. Is this the computer you are on now?

Customer:

yes

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Ok. Then please bookmark this page so you can get back to it. What I am going to ask you to do will require restarting the computer.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I will give you the steps, and then you can try it and let me know the results.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

All you will be doing really is testing the computer without the battery... but before that making sure that there is no power still in the computer.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

So, after I give you the steps, please shut down the computer.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Then remove the battery and remove power from the computer.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds.

Customer:

ok, do I need to bookmark it now?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Then reconnect the power, but do not re-insert the battery, and then power up with ac power.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Yes, please

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

So, power down, unplug and remove battery, press power for 20 seconds, then turn on without battery.

Customer:

I can not see what you are typing, my box is too small how do I make it bigger?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

You can either maximize the window with the box in the upper right...

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

or use the scroll bar to scroll.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Also, double clicking on the top of the window should maximize.

Customer:

When I scroll it cuts off the letters

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Is it full screen?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

If you press CTRL and - it will make it smaller.

Customer:

Yes, I have it on full screen. My typing box is big but your reply box is small.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

You can try refreshing the page with F5. Can you at least read my instructions?

Customer:

I can only see part of your instructions

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Is your browser zoomed in to a high degree?

Customer:

Ok I think I have your instructions. Turn off the computer, remove the battery, plug it back in and reboot without the battery. is that correct?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Turn off, remove battery and power, hold power button for 20 sec, then boot without battery

Customer:

Ok im doing it now. be back in a moment.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Ok.

Customer:

Ok im back.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Hello

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Now, if you haven't already, you probably know the next step.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Which is popping the battery in

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

With it on.

Customer:

Ok did that, now it says plugged in and not charging.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Does it appear to be full?

Customer:

No, when it is full it is filled wit green, tere isnt anything in it.

Customer:

*there

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

And the power adapter is still plugged in?

Customer:

Yes

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Ok... so it is the battery - how long have you had it?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

The reason we went through those steps was to make sure it could at least see the battery being connected.

Customer:

I just bought it from someone, on the bottom it says 09/27/2009. The battery was fine yesterday. Would it go bad without any warning?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Yes, it would appear to.... but they go bad over time. All rechargeable batteries do. And with it being four years old, it's due for a new battery anyway.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

They are not expensive.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

But yes... it would appear to fail at once. Although if you had it for a long time, you might notice the life of the battery slowly get shorter.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

very slowly.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Do you know the model number?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

for example LT31, LT3100, etc

Customer:

Yes,

Customer:

Im getting it

Customer:

LT3103U

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Ok, thank you... that's what I need.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

This will give you much better battery life than you would have had if it had not failed yet.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

That is a good price for this battery.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

You don't have to buy it there, but that's the battery you need.

Customer:

Okay, thank you for all of your help.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

You're welcome. If you need anything else, you can always come back to this page and ask.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Please remember to rate my level of service with the icons.

Customer:

Okay, I will.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Thank you! Have a great day.

Customer:

You do the same.

Experience: 20 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt