Joshua C.
Joshua C., PC Technician
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician with over 10 years of experience.

I am looking to purchase a decent surveillance system to use

I am looking to purchase a decent surveillance system to use outdoors. I don't know anything about security systems and would like to know anything pertinent in regards XXXXX XXXXX systems. I have looked and have found some that come with a hard drive and some that don't. Some are 4 channel, some are 8. What does this mean? Because of the space I want to cover I think wireless is best. I am interested in products made by ZMODO but I have never heard of this company. Could you give me your opinion and any other info I should know before I make my purchase?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Joshua C. replied 8 months ago.

Joshua C. :

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com my name is XXXXX XXXXX X am going to assist you today

Joshua C. :

I have setup quite a few security systems over the years for businesses that I have worked with and have some suggestions for you

Joshua C. :

First you need to know what type of lighting will be available for the cameras

Customer:

I need lighting included

Joshua C. :

If there will be low light situations you will need IR (infrared) cameras

Joshua C. :

You dont want a camera that shines a light as it would show exactly where the camera is

Customer:

Only if it's affordable, Otherwise I will have to set them up using the light provided, making sure every space is covered

Joshua C. :

What is your budget

Joshua C. :

How many camera do you need?

Joshua C. :

Wireless or wired cameras?

Joshua C. :

How many hours of recording do you want?

Customer:

that makes sense but mostly I am trying to get animals that are destructive on video

Customer:

24hrs

Joshua C. :

Have you considered trail or game cameras?

Customer:

never heard of such a thing.

Customer:

I will look

Joshua C. :

They are used for hunting

Joshua C. :

For finding animals

Customer:

have you heard of the company ZMODO?

Joshua C. :

and the police use them to hide the cameras in the woods

Joshua C. :

Yes Zmodo is a chinese company that makes the cheap model of security systems

Customer:

The animals belong to my neighbor, so I am not hunting game

Joshua C. :

Knock offs of the full business class systems

Joshua C. :

I understand your not hunting game

Joshua C. :

But the trail/game cameras

Joshua C. :

go off motion

Joshua C. :

and can be setup anywhere

Customer:

cheap as in they don't work well, or cheap as in they wont last long?

Joshua C. :

are made to shoot in light and dark situations

Joshua C. :

Both in my opinion

Joshua C. :

Especially when they are outside

Joshua C. :

They use lower quality cameras and generic DVR systems to record

Customer:

are they infrared?

Joshua C. :

the trail cameras?

Joshua C. :

Yes

Joshua C. :

zmodo does offer IR cameras also

Joshua C. :

zmodo is the major brand that is sold on ebay

Joshua C. :

because companies can buy the systems in bulk from china and resell them

Joshua C. :

just like knock off clothes, watches etc.

Joshua C. :

Ive used zmodo and they have worked fine for indoor situations but I didnt like the video quality of outdoor systems

Joshua C. :

and their android control system is very finicky

Joshua C. :

but they are the cheapest

Customer:

I will look into the game cameras. Right now I have 2 cameras w/lights from Costco. They work ok for the price but they only have a small amount of memory

Joshua C. :

The nice thing about the game camera they accept SD cards

Joshua C. :

so you can put in a single 32gb card

Joshua C. :

and get a lot of recording

Joshua C. :

and they activate on motion

Customer:

and they don't use lights?

Joshua C. :

Nope

Joshua C. :

IR

Joshua C. :

which cant be seen by Animals or Humans

Joshua C. :

Again these cameras are used by the police to locate people in the woods

Joshua C. :

I know people that use them to make sure people dont trespass on 40 acres of land

Customer:

cool. No channels or any other confusing things that a non pro would not know about?

Joshua C. :

they just hide them in the bushes and leave them for a week or so

Joshua C. :

and then check on them

Joshua C. :

Correct

Joshua C. :

Just turn it on

Joshua C. :

close the case

Joshua C. :

and hang it up

Joshua C. :

Just so you know the channels thing is just the number of cameras the base DVR can control

Joshua C. :

4 channel = 4 camera max

Customer:

Perfect. The animal issue is just the small problem. We have posted no trespassing signs for the humans

Joshua C. :

8 channel = 8 camera max

Customer:

so each camera has its own channel?

Customer:

got it

Customer:

Thank you Joshua.

Joshua C. :

You are very welcome

Customer:

Have a great evening!

Joshua C. :

When looking at the trail cameras you can check them out at local sporting stores

Joshua C. :

to get an idea of what they look like

Joshua C. :

how heavy they are

Joshua C. :

etc

Joshua C. :

and if they include flash or just IR

Customer:

ok. Thanks

Joshua C., PC Technician
Experience: Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician with over 10 years of experience.