Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience:  2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.

My elderly friend has a brand new Gateway NE Series laptop.

My elderly friend has a brand new Gateway NE Series laptop. Some friends set it up for her and no one can remember the password. How can I reset the password XXXXX her (she has no UBS stick) or have the current password XXXXX to someone?
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your question. I am very sorry your friend has encountered this kind of problem. I am guessing you have already tried getting in contact with those who have set it up. Just to verify you can't login into the machine due to no knowing the password. What version of windows is that machine using?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Microsoft 8

I see, ok so it's using windows 8. Ok can you tell me if there is any important data or anything on that machine and can you tell me the entire model number for this machine please?
Hello I understand the model number is XXXXX You responded opening another question I did close it for you. One moment I am getting information about this machine standby please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No problem. I'm waiting.

Ok you will need to turn the computer off before doing this step keep in mind this will restore the machine to like it was just bought a moment ago and you can help her set it up the way she wants it.

To reinstall Windows and all pre-installed software and drivers:
1. Turn on your computer, then press Alt+F10 during startup. Gateway
Recovery Management opens.
2. Click on Restore system from factory default.
Caution: Continuing the process will erase all files on your hard
3. Click on Next. Your hard drive's original, factory-loaded contents are
recovered. This process will take several minutes.

Please let me know what happens I will be here all day.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know...
Please don't leave negative feedback, Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated! You will be getting a survey on my assistance and information It would be greatly appreciated to let Superiors know how I am doing thank you and please try and have a good day.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not seeing "Restore System from Factory Default." It just goes to the main screen, showing the time and date. And, Yes, I did press Alt and F10 when it was starting up.

OK keep in mind make sure you push alt and F10 at the same time as soon as you see the gateway logo.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay, I'll try again.

If that fails we will need to have gateway send the recovery disks on hard copy they would do it at no charge if you can't get the recovery program to work and if the recovery software copies were never created and burned from that machine when it was first turned on and activated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do I contact Gateway at to order the recovery disks? Or do I call them?

First you can contact them via chat at this link:

Here is the phone number information for them to arrange to get this software sent to you.

Retail U.S. (English and Spanish)
Service and support for Gateway products purchased in the United States from a vendor other than Gateway(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>
Retail Canada (English and French)
Service and support for Gateway products purchased in Canada from a vendor other than Gateway(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/> Direct
Service and support for Gateway products purchased directly from Gateway(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/> International
International technical support(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>