James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.

I downloaded a game. It changed the configuration of my mouse

I downloaded a game. It changed the configuration of my mouse and keyboard. I uninstalled the game but the change remained.
This is where I made a stupid move. I restarted my computer, and without the keyboard I can't get back into it to run a system restore. I tried the on screen keyboard but it doesn't work either. It's a fairly new Acer desktop maybe 1 year old. What can I do to get past the passwork without a keyboard?
Category: Computer
Expert:  James replied 12 months ago.

Did you try to boot into safe mode?

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

yes, it still wants my password

Expert:  James replied 12 months ago.
And the on-screen keyboard doesn't work in Safe Mode either?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

no, I even tried the mouse over feature.

Expert:  James replied 12 months ago.
Did you try to load Last Good Known Configuration from the F8 menu?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

no

Expert:  James replied 12 months ago.
Can you please try that and let me know what happens?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

it still wants a password

Expert:  James replied 12 months ago.
I understand- but the keyboard still doesn't work?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

right

Expert:  James replied 12 months ago.
Got it.

Is this a laptop or desktop?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

desktop. It went into system restore with the f8. Then it wanted a password XXXXX continue. so close yet so far

Expert:  James replied 12 months ago.
Okay. I assume you're using a USB keyboard, right?

Let's boot into normal Windows.
Then, disconnect the mouse.
Connect the keyboard to the same port the mouse was connected to.
Give it a moment to load drivers.

Any change?

J.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

SUCESS!!! changing the mouse usb must have helped. The on screen keyboard worked the passwork is in and it's rebooted. I can now run the system restore.

I want to thank you

Linda

Expert:  James replied 12 months ago.
Hi Linda,

Thank you for the update - I'm very glad it helped.

It is one of the less known tricks to change ports - it causes a reload of the USB keyboard driver, which usually fixes these kinds of issues.

Can I ask you to please rate my service by clicking one of the faces below?

Many thanks!

J.
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience: 20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.