Adam Lowrance
Adam Lowrance, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  10 plus years of work experience with Windows, networking, pc and laptop hardware, MS Office
26447752

I have a new solar inverter, a Aurora Power One 6000W inverter

I have a new solar inverter, a Aurora Power One 6000W inverter that I want to monitor the data via my pc. After installing the software and plugging in the ethernet cable I get an error message stating "the COM1 port does not exist".
I was also told that I needed to do a "cross over" on the end plug, which I "think" I did via the diagram I was told to use. I replugged in the cable and got the same "message, COM1 port does not exist".
I'm stuck, where now brown cow?

Adam Lowrance :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Adam Lowrance :

Give me a minute to look up that converter please.

Adam Lowrance :

Do you have the RS-485 to RS-232 adapter?

Customer:

I don't think so, don't even know what it is. The manual does say something about a RS-485, but it didn't come with the inverter.

Customer:

I states that you either use a RS-485 connectin or wiring for a RJ12 connection.

Adam Lowrance :

Ok, looks like you are missing one essential piece.

Adam Lowrance :

This box is the go between device between the inverter and a PC. It hooks to a pc with a standard USB cable.

Customer:

I have no idea what to do here. I'm in Nicaragua, ordered it and this is what I have. Talked to the guy in Calif. and said you could use a "cross over" cable, which we did ourselves here, getting a new adapter head and changing the wiring by color code. I got no other directions but to do that. No "box" or anything else.

Adam Lowrance :

RS485 usually refers to a serial port connection. That makes sense with the Com1 message. What are you plugging the cable into on the PC?

Customer:

Are you there? It states, and the inverter guy stated, as an alternative to RS485 serial connection, be it as single unit the inverter connection can be performed by means of RJ12 connectors and it shows a fig. of a 6 pin ethernet plug. That is why I did the "cross over" that is what he said needed to be done to make it work with the normal ethernet connections in the box and into the computer.

Customer:

There is only one ethernet connection input, where I also put my connection to my router if I need to.

Adam Lowrance :

RJ 12 is a 6 wire commonly used in phones. Ethernet on a PC is RJ 45 with is an 8 wire. Ethernet sends signals differently than serial connections. I have never seen a Serial connection work in an Ethernet port. especially a 6 wire one.

Adam Lowrance :

Now if you are using a regular Ethernet connection on both sides a crossover cable would be correct.

Customer:

The diagram in the book shows that pin#1 and pin #5 are not used in the 6 pin configuration for the RJ conectors. It shows pin #2 at +Data Line, required for RS485 communication, #3 Remote OFF, Required or Remote OFF control, Pin #4 -Data Line, Required for RS485 communications and pin #6 Signal Return, Common refernece for logical signals.

Customer:

The ethernet cable is a 8 pin configuration, that is why I guess that several of the wires don't do anything or as it says even #1 and #5 aren't used. That is why I looked up and had the configuration for a R12 from a R45.

Adam Lowrance :

Those are two totally different signaling protocols. What is the exact model of the inverter?

Customer:

I don't know diddlly with what I'm doing or what I need to do with what I have. As I said, I'm in the rural area in Nicaragua, don't have electricity either.

Adam Lowrance :

What is the exact model of the inverter?

Customer:

Aurora Power One 6000

Adam Lowrance :

is it a PVI-6000?

Customer:

yes

Adam Lowrance :

Ok, I just read through the manual. Serial connection is the only one supported by the device. You will need the box I posted earlier to configure the device with a computer. The Ethernet port on your computer cannot send the proper signals.

Customer:

Does your manual show the RJ-12 configuration with the 6 pin head?

Adam Lowrance :

yes it does

Customer:

Ok, thanks anyway, I'll try talking on Skype to the guy again tomorrow, maybe there is a way as he said it only took a cross over cable, but not knowing much about computers, it's over my head.

Adam Lowrance :

it also shows the 8 pin

Adam Lowrance :

Ok

Customer:

Yes, that is what I wrote to you a few minutes ago, using only 4 wires

Customer:

Two were not used, Pin #1 and #5 were not used at all. I wrote verbatim what was written.

Customer:

Adam Lowrance :

Yes, that is Serial based communication not Ethernet based.

Customer:

There are two same ethernet jacks inside the inverter itself, it says I can use either one of them, line 1 and 2 are the same, just an extra for another pc hookup if needed.

Adam Lowrance :

It looks like an Ethernet plug but it is actually serial communication. Cisco routers also use that type of setup.

Customer:

OK, I'm out of my element, thanks again, I'm stumped. Damn manufactures after paying thousands of dollars can't "include" what is needed to monitor it? They have special USB holes in the box just for the monitoring aspect of this inverter for the wires. I can understand being "remote" being an extra, but zero ability to monitor it without jumping through hoops, not good.

Adam Lowrance :

I agree with you %100. They could have included a USB port and made life simple

Customer:

Thanks again, I will give you a good rating for your help.