Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

For Chris Shores only. Hi Chris. Once I got on the windows

For Chris Shores only. Hi Chris. Once I got on the windows screen, within minutes it blacked out and went to the DELL screen and then it froze, so I had to manually shut it down.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.

When you turned it back on did it come on?

click thison the computer with trouble.
http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=a819bd13-acef-46c1-ae22-7cfd75caa378

I want to stay connected and see what happens

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it came on, but it blacked out again.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
OK.

Same thing as before so I can get connected.

click this on the computer with trouble.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok will do

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Great. I want to see if it blacks out for you but stays on for me, could be monitor issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
I am connected and will reboot into normal mode for tests.

Let me know if the screen goes black at any time.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Also it would help if you could tell me the make and model of computer that this is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

DELL Optiplex 745 Series 3F487D1

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX booting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no it froze on the DELL screen which says DELL Optiplex 745 Series Bios Revision 2.3.1

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Ok try safe mode again please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok with networking?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
yes please.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
I am connected again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

monitor turned off and I have a black screen

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Can you turn the monitor on?

Also what is teh make and model of monitor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I try to turn it on, it has the green light, but then it turns orange nothing on the screen. DELL1707FPt model number. Screen is on again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

screen is starting to get all scrambled up

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Was doing some research on this problem on this specific model of dell and others have had the issue as well. Could be due to bad capacitors on the motherboard failing and causing this problem.

This is a pretty big hardware issue, not something I can fix from here.

Have a look at this video, just to get an idea of what I am talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51Y4r34zVag
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it seems kind of complicated.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Oh yeah it is, I didn't mean you would do that. I just wanted to give you an idea.

Can you see the screen now?

Also did you check the connection from monitor to computer, if not please do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no the screen is black and the light on the monitor is orange. connection seems to be good.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Ok did you just reboot or did the screen go black on its own?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just rebooted it in normal because I could not see anything on the monitor.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Ok I can see the monitor.

I could see it the whole time.

I just lost it again?

Are you rebooting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no I lost it as well. the screen is black. should I reboot it in safe mode?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
No don't reboot.

I disconnected but I just saw the issue finally that you have been seeing, and I have seen this type of thing before.

This is not something I will be able to fix from here unfortunately because it is not a software problem.

You have a hardware failure happening here. It is either the capacitors on the motherboard failing as I mentioned or your video card is just about dead.

Video cards do not get repaired they simply get replaced however if it is the motherboard then getting a new video card in there may not help.

To properly diagnose this and repair I would need physical access to the machine and need to open it up and see whats going on in there.

I am certain that this is a hardware failure because we have covered everything software related that it could be.

What you will want to do is take it to a local certified tech and have them diagnose and give you a quote to see what they would charge for repair.

This is an old machine so you may want to consider replacing it instead of repair.

I doubt it is under warranty with dell but if it is then they must repair if for free. Seems these models from dell have that that capacitor issue, basically a faulty design so I would not be surprised if that is what is causing it.

Sorry I could not do more. It may work off and on but it absolutely has issues that will need a tech in person to repair.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience: Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My son works on computers. He could help me if I could get a hold of him. I'm confused though. Is it my monitor? in safe mode, my monitor works fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yea, it definitely has a problem. my windows screen in safe mode just froze. Thank you so much Chris! Now I know what I need to do.