Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience:  2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.
46034742

I replaced the power supply in my Dell Inspiron 546, but now

I replaced the power supply in my Dell Inspiron 546, but now I don't know where to plug the cables back in. Can you help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your question. I am sorry you have ran into this kind of problem I can understand how frustrating this can get. Just to verify you are replacing the power supply to your computer correct and you are need assistance in what goes where? First can you tell me if the power supply is from dell or did you go out and just buy a new one? Also is there a model number on that power supply?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Delta electronics, Model DPS-280 GB B

Ok great, Now can you tell me what you have connected right now? Tell me the best that you can describe.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The metal box is screwed in. I plugged in the long white plug into the bottom of the board at the front edge. Also I plugged in a small white plug with 2 yellow and 2 black wires next to the long side of the power supply box. There are lots of plugs left!

OK Those two plugs you connected were to supply the motherboard and the CPU with power. So far you have done that right. Now then what you are going to want to supply power to now is your drives. so First locate your hard drive and your cd drives on the inside count how many drivers and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I see the cd drive and the hard drive, but I don't know what you mean by "driver".

I meant drives How many drives please forgive me that was a typo. Ok you are going to want to supply power to each of those drives. So find a matching power connector and plug one in to each drive and let me know once that is complete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I plugged in identical black plugs labeled P7 and P10.

There are more plugs on this power supply than the original one I took out.

The original one has a small white plug labeled P7 with 4 wires and so does the new one. The original one has 4 blacks ones P3-P6 and the new one has 3 left over now.

OK you don't use all of them unless you have more devices inside you need to get power to. If it's still original configuration then you won't need to use those other power connectors. Just move them aside and try powering up the computer and tell me what you get. By the way those other power connectors are for if you add more drives or additional hardware that need power.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So I don't need to plug in anything else? While I wait I will take it upstairs to power on.

No unless you have added additional devices recently. I will be right here let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It powered up, but the screen says keyboard failure and press F2, but notheing happens. The keyboard is wireless and was working fine.

Is it connected by a USB wireless receiver check to make sure it's connected to the machine. Also try removing the USB receiver and plug it back in. It's saying that the keyboard is not being detected has nothing to do with power at all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yep. That was it. Now I have a CMos setup utility screen

OK does it tell you to Push F1 or F2?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I already pushed F2 to get this screen. There are 10 choices from System Info to Exit without Saving. I'm lost again.

OK just save and exit and restart and let me know what happens. If save and exit is not an option just push Ctrl Alt Del at the same time to restart. Or just power off and turn back on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just so you know. I know I should have labeled the plugs before I removed the old ones. My son worked for Dell, MS and now HP as an engineer, and he usually helps me. But I was too embarrassed to call him on this one It's worth $38 for him not to know what I did. :)

I restarted! You're a jewel, Charles. Thank you.

You are very welcome. I'm just glad we have you situated. Your did great!!!

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know...
Please don't leave negative feedback, Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated! You will be getting a survey on my assistance and information It would be greatly appreciated to let my Superiors know how I am doing thank you and please try and have a good day.

Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience: 2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.