Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience:  2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.

I was watching a YouTube vid on my Gateway DX4200-UB001A when

I was watching a YouTube vid on my Gateway DX4200-UB001A when it cut out and won't restart. The power light just gives a slow blink. Did my hard drive fail?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your question. I am very sorry you have encountered this kind of problem. If I understand the problem you are having correctly the power button is just doing a slow blink is this correct and what color is it please?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The color is blue. btw, I'm using a smartphone so my responses are slow.

That's ok, I have been there myself I completely understand. I know how frustrating this can be and I'm sorry this has happened to you. First give this option a try and tell me if it responds after following these steps. Turn off the system then Disconnect power cables. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds Reconnect power cables and try to turn it on. Let me know if you get the same result.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

did it. The power light was a steady blue. Heard a beep, then the startup music then the computer cut off - no light on power swiitch.

I see, so it did try to start up again. First your hard drive is not bad. The problem you have encountered usually mean there is a problem related to one of or all memory modules. Meaning the computer memory. If it's defective it will give off a beep. I don't think it's an overheat. I don't know if you know how to open the machine or locate the memory sometimes if you remove the memory and put it back in sometimes that works and it would mean it just needed to be reseated however if that fails you would either need to replace the memory. Now it's very rare that the motherboard would be the problem.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Have the computer open. Is there anything to do next?

OK the memory modules are usually either 1 or 2 located in white or black slots. They usually look like this. You will want to remove them.graphic

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

actully I have four. Is there any to pull out?

OK do this go ahead and remove them all. Then once you have put one of them at a time and turn it on. If it comes on like it is supposed to turn it back off and put in the next. Do this until it has that problem again and that should tell us if you had a bad memory card one of them may be causing the problem. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

this will take awhile.

That's not a problem remember you don't have to close the case up.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Put the first chip in. Heard one beep then startup music and the power switch is a steady blue, but nothing is showing on the monitor. Monitor light is showing a steady blue.

OK take that first chip out and put in a different one. Different slot.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

put chip 2 in slot 2. Got startup music and steady power light but no visual on monitor.

OK Now put another memory chip in keep that one in.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

put chip 3 in slot 3. Heard startup music but nothing on the monitor.

Ok try slot 4 This time. If it's still doing the same thing. If all chips are doing the same thing no matter which slot you put one in let me know. Also if you don't mind me asking do you know if you have an additional graphics card in this machine. To know this were the vga cable is connected from cable to computer does it look like it's connected directly to the main board or a second card added into the machine that looks like it can be removed?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

added chip 4 to slot 4. Got startup music. I also unplug the monitor from UPS and plug it back in, so I now have visual. Now slot 2 to 4 are filled and only chip 1 is out.

OK so slot 2 and slot 4 are filled and the machine is acting normal again correct just to verify I am reading your message correctly?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

yes. Do you want me plug chip 1 in?

Yes please and tell me what happens.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

did it. Worked pefectly. Logged in and got on the internet.

If it does that again you may want to have the memory checked. However that is great news. If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know...
Please don't leave negative feedback, Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated! You will be getting a survey on my assistance and information It would be greatly appreciated to let my Superiors know how I am doing thank you and please try and have a good day.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks. I'm responding from my computer now. It's worth the price to find out out rather than wait 24 hours to carry my computer to Best Buy for twice the amount for the same answer. Thanks again.

You are more than welcome and please try and have a good rest of the night.
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience: 2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.