Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

I have gotten several phone calls

I have gotten several phone calls purportedly from "Microsoft Certified Engineer Department" also called "IRED" company. They state that Microsoft contacted them and told them that my computer has a a "90% full error report level" and I "might have big problems and many computer files corrupted and that could lead to my computer crashing in 2 months." Also they say "you cannot fix it yourself." The employee told me "your computer will crash in 2 months if you don't allow me to help you." He suggested that I allow him to "get into the error report file on your computer so he could clean up this problem."Needless to say, I did not allow this to happen! That man, as well as the man who called this Monday morning (from his voice and accent worse than "Mike" had on Friday, I knew he was a different employee) are Asian Indians with heavy accents and very poor English. The man who called me today,"Mike," gave me almost the same information. When I told him of "XXX XXX" from IRED's call last Friday, he said, "Oh that man gave you the wrong information...your computer won't crash; just your files will be corrupted. And XXX XXX  is no longer with the company...he was fired." Today's caller, "Mike," asked what anti-virus program I was using. Figuring that this would not be revealing much info, I told him we've been using Trend-Micro Anti-virus security software for several years. He said "that program is NOT protecting have over 1,745 error reports. That means your computer has serious problems." He said I should be using "Microsoft Silver Light Security." (I checked that out online: it's for software engineers, NOT for ordinary computer users.) (Also: IRED is software that "captures hand movements on a computer." Just what I DO NOT NEED if I am to keep my computer safe. Isn't that how identity thieves actually GET INTO YOUR COMPUTER AND STEAL YOUR IDENTITY?) When my husband and I checked this morning online for IRED, etc., our anti-viral program said all the websites suggested for our searches were "not safe." (I was using Safari as a browser.) When I switched to Firefox as a browser, I was allowed to use those same URLs and get some info on IRED, AMX, etc. The first "engineer" said his office is located at 140 Broadway, New York. Couldn't find it using YP (yellow pages) website. The "engineer" I spoke with today also said his company was at 140 Broadway, but it is in Brooklyn, New York. The phone number from which both of them called answers with a message, "We're sorry, your call cannot be completed as dialed. Please check the number and try again." However, the "direct line" is the same for both callers: 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX. At least that is a legitimate number??? This is probably too much information and yet not really enough for anyone out there to help us. So, our question is: If you see a message of "send error report" or "don't send report" when you have a small problem during a computer session, is it best NOT to send the report? And do these reports actually add up? And, most important of all: can this "error report level" be dangerous to your computer's function and to your data's safety? And why have we never read of this in all the years we've been using Microsoft Windows if it's so damned important!! We would appreciate any help you can give us.

Welcome to

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

What your describing, is a complete and total scam attempt..

First , Microsoft would NEVER call you and say your computer is infected, or in danger. NEVER..

Second, they would NEVER give out your computers error report information.. Those type of phone calls are an absolute 100 % scam.

Please tell me that you did not let those people access your computer in any way, look at your files, or install any special program they wanted you to install?

If you did not then your ok.. Computers do need periodic maintaince.. And I can show you and teach you how to do that maintaince yourself, simply and easily.. If you want.

As far as the send error report, there is abolutely no harm in doing so.. And unless thats happening 4 or 5 times an hour, or a couple dozen times a day.. Its natural for a computer to have errors every now and then.. Its no big deal unless its causing you to not be able to use or do something.

I hope that clarifies the issue.. And whatever you do, never let someone who calls you on the phone have access to your computer.. Also, trend micro is great!! .. It is protecting you.. Though no antivirus protects you 100 %.. Not norton, not mcafee, none can protect you 100 % of the time..

If you have any questions, or if your getting any actual errors you would like help solving, please let me know and I will be happy to assist you in resolving those specific issues.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin