Russell H., Computer System
Experience:  11 years experience
13568747

when I connect my PowerShot SX50HS the Canon CameraWindow does

when I connect my PowerShot SX50HS the Canon CameraWindow does not open to download my photos
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please inform me whether you have a Windows PC or an Apple computer.

If it is a Windows PC, then please go to

Start - Control Panel - System

on your PC, and let me know what the Windows type/version now running on your PC is. Also please check for the 'System Type', which should be about half-way down the System info window, and should be either 32-bit or 64-bit. Thanks.

(If an Apple computer, please click on the multicolored apple logo, then choose About This Mac, and read off the 10.X.x MAC OS X version #. Thanks.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok just give me a minute it is a pc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Version XP 2002 not seeing where the 32 or 64 info is

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the response - as for Windows XP, it is almost always 32-bit, but doesn't say anything about it, if it is.

Try the following procedure, step by step:

Unplug your camera from the computer, if it isn't unplugged already.

Then go to
Start - Control Panel - Scanners and Cameras,
and if there is an icon for your camera there, select it and Delete it (using the Del key on your keyboard.)

Then go to
Start - Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs,
and once the programs list has come up, locate any program for your Canon PowerShot camera that is listed there... most likely you'll see
ImageBrowser EX
at very least. Select that program, and Remove (or Change, then Remove) it.

Then restart your computer.

Then when the computer is restarted, plug your camera in to the computer again for a minute or two, then unplug it again.

Then, go to
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_sx50_hs#DriversAndSoftware

and click once on the 'Select Operating System' control (somewhat lower down on the page), and select
Windows
and then click once on the 'Select OS Version' control, and select
Windows XP

then click once on the link for 'Software' to reveal the driver downloads list, and then download the ImageBrowser EX for your camera.
Save it to disk, then double-click on the downloaded file, and do the program installation.

(When prompted, plug in your camera to the computer. Or if never prompted, plug it in after the program installation has completely finished.)

- If there is anything lacking in this answer, please " Reply " letting me know, and I will try to improve upon my answer.
- If this is the Answer that helps with the issue, then rating my Answer positively would be appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will do this and get back to you may take a moment thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I delete ImageBroweser EX will I lose all the photos stored there

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't think you will lose the photos. But look in
Start - My Pictures
for them, first. Are they really stored there? if so, then removing the program will only remove indexing information.

If you can't stand to lose the indexing for all previous photos downloaded from ImageBrowser, or if you would rather not risk losing the photos themselves (actually unlikely), then
A. back up the photos before doing the removal, or
B. give up on getting the auto-open function of ImageBrowser working again, to some extent. You could get used to clicking
Start - My Computer - then double-clicking upon the camera's icon there, opening the file contents of the camera as if it were a disk drive, and selecting then copying the pictures taken onto your C: Hard Drive or My Pictures etc. Not quite so automatic a process, of course, and slightly more labor. But no risk of losing indexing information, that way.
("Indexing information", is the ordering and sorting and locating information that the ImageBrowser program no doubt stores for its own uses.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
OK.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did all that and it didn't work have to go off to an appointment now what should we do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It didn't work and I have to go off to an appointment what happens now?

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
You are not obliged to do anything for now, esp. if you have other business.

I am Opting Out, in case another Expert here has the suggestion that you need for this case... but I am not cutting myself off from communication on this case, and I may have another idea by and by. (I have to be doing other things myself for now, so this is appropriate for me also.)
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

(1) Go to

Start - My Computer

and under the heading 'Devices with Removable Storage', you might see an icon for your camera (it might show up as "Removable Disk [suchandsuch]" or the like.)

(2) If it shows up there, right click the device and select Properties and then

(3) select the AutoPlay tab, and from the choice control select Pictures and then 'Select action to perform', and then

(4) scroll down the list until you come to 'View/Download Images using ImageBrowser EX', select it and click on Apply to save the setting.

If the camera does not show in My Computer, connect it and see if it shows up.

If that doesn't show up as an icon either, then go to

Start - Control Panel - Scanners and Cameras, and see if right-clicking upon the camera's icon there, allows you to go through the above process from (2) onward.

Russell H., Computer System
Experience: 11 years experience