Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Experience:  13+ years experience

I have a problem with my Lyumix DMCZS7 camera. Normally when you conne

I have a problem with my Lyumix DMCZS7 camera. Normally when you connect to computer by usb and turn on, it is connected for download. Suddenly that no longer works
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please inform me whether you have a Windows PC or an Apple computer.... the information is needed for me to advise you properly as to the problem with the camera connection.

If it is a Windows PC, then please go to

Start - Control Panel - System

on your PC, and let me know what the Windows type/version now running on your PC is. Also please check for the 'System Type', which should be about half-way down the System info window, and should be either 32-bit or 64-bit. Thanks.

(If an Apple computer, please click on the multicolored apple logo, then choose About This Mac, and read off the 10.X.x MAC OS X version #. Thanks.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

windows 7 home premium 64 bit

Try this:

Go to
Start button, then type in
Device Manager
and wait a bit, then click on the link for it that will appear at the top of the Start menu space.
In Device Manager, see whether your camera shows up as an icon (under 'imaging devices' or the like.
If it shows up with a yellow question mark, or with a red exclamation mark, then there is a problem.

Also go to
Start - My Computer
with it plugged in to the computer, and see if an icon for the camera shows up there - if such an icon shows up, double-click it to open it, and see if it opens.

Let me know the results (the above procedures check the connection status of the camera.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It isn't there as a device but never has been. When connected it does not show up either and that's the problem. It isn't being found, maybe a problem with the camera, maybe the cord. I no longer think it is a setting. Either of those may not be worth dealing with, I'll use a card reader. Plugging it in was more convenient though.

Yes, a card reader attached to your computer (or as a part of the computer) will read the stored pictures (and/or videos) taken by your camera off of the memory card your camera stores them on. That will allow you to continue to use the camera.

Or you could try a different USB cord... or a different USB port on your computer, too.
And check that the USB port on the camera doesn't have dirt of any sort in it... USB communicates by very few 'lines' and the loss of one of them, or its impeding by dirt on the contacts, could cause just what you are asking about.

If there is any other advice or help I may offer you on this problem, just let me know.

- If there is anything lacking in this answer, please " Reply " letting me know, and I will try to improve upon my answer.
- If this is the Answer that helps with the issue, then rating my Answer positively would be appreciated.