Barun, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience in providing support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.

Firefox is using 625855K on memory on my PC. Can I safely end

Firefox is using 625855K on memory on my PC. Can I safely end this process?
Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

If you are using Firefox as your browser, ending the "Firefox.exe" process will close your active Firefox windows itself. However, if you need to reduce the amount of memory resources taken up by Firefox, please do the following:

In Firefox, click on the orange Firefox tab at the top-left, then click Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled. Firefox will now close and a pop-up window will come up. Check all of the options listed there, EXCEPT for the option to delete your bookmarks, then click 'Save Changes and Exit'. Now, when you open up Firefox, it will run much faster than usual, and will not take up as much memory resources as before, as well.

Also, regarding the general speed and functioning of your computer, there are a few things I would like you to carry out as well:

1) First off, please go to Start > Run, and type in msconfig in the search box, and press ENTER.

In the System Configuration Utility window that comes up, click on Services, then check 'Hide All Microsoft services', then click 'Disable All'. Done that, click on Startup, then disable all of the entries listed, except for the ones you need to use, e.g. for your security program. Hit Apply thereafter, and restart the computer accordingly.

2) Next, please download the following freeware (don't buy anything) security program, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

Download, run and install the program, then carry out a quick system scan using the same, and remove the security threats detected, if any.

3) Finally, there's a handy freeware utility I would suggest you to download, as follows:

Install and run the same and click on the 'Run Cleaner' button in the window that comes up in order to do a comprehensive cleanup of useless data in your system.

Next, click on the 'Registry' tab present in the left pane, then scan for and fix issues found in your registry.

This should do it. Hope it helps. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

WIll do as you suggest, but I don't have firefox open. Also, I have google set as default browser and recently the browser opens on some site something like "conduit.???". right now I can't even open firefox cause it's using 98% of memory.

Will do msconfig and reply. (Am using safari on another device to contact you.)

Ah, I see. In that case, you may just go ahead and end the "Firefox.exe" process, then open up Firefox once again, and carry out the steps I had enlisted for the same - this will prevent the same memory issue from recurring in the future as well. If you are unable to open up Firefox after ending the process, just let me know. Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay. I had to hold the power button to shut off the computer because it wasn't responding to any commands. Then I booted up and tried to start firefox. A window opened but said it wasn't responding. (I wanted to see what the address was that it was opening in.) Then I did the msconfig. Disabled all the services except Microsoft services. Then disabled all for start up and only choose the ones I thought were needed. Hit apply & rec'd a message "An access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make specified changes." I don't think we ever set up an administrator account on this pc. Any suggestions?

I see; no problem; you may just ignore the message, then go ahead and restart now - the changes will be saved just fine. Do keep me posted.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Rec'd message that system started in diagnostic mode because I changed select start up options. Should I ignore? Wants me to change back to how it was before.

You just need to close ('X') out the window - the message will not show up the next time at startup.

Also, regarding the Firefox issue, please make sure that the "Firefox.exe" process is not running, then go to Start > Run, type in %appdata% and press ENTER. In the folder window that comes up, go further into Mozilla > Firefox > Profiles, then right-click and delete the 'xxxxxxxx.default' folder listed.

You should be able to open up Firefox all right thereafter. Do keep me posted; thanks!