Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry

I have a Gateway mx 6431 notebook. The notebook turns on After

I have a Gateway mx 6431 notebook. The notebook turns on After the power button is pushed. I can hear the fan running for about 5 seconds and then it stops. Nothing ever comes up on the screen. The screen remains black. The cd drive will not open and nothing works. But the power led light comes on thats it. Do you have any suggestions as to what my problem may be?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your Question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Can you do this as the first step to eliminate residual power as the problem please.

Remove the battery and power cable.

Then hold the power button down for 30 seconds, then release.

Connect the battery and the power cable and then start it.

Let me know the results please

thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

have completed the action, No results....still have a black screen

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Rick

I want to check if the Backlight has failed.

While it is turned on, can you shine a torch on the screen.

Are you able to see the image faintly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

cannot see an image

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, pon the underside of the Laptop, you will see a small panel, with a screw in it. This is where the memory is kept.

Do you see this Rick?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
With the Laptop powered off, unscrew that compartment, open it and remove any memory in it, then blow off any dust on it and in the compartment.

Put it back in and screw the compartment up again.

Then try to start the laptop and Let me know the results please

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

completed task...no results

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, leave it out and then start the computer please Rick.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

done...no results

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thank you Rick.

It is then the internal power supply that has faulted.

We know this as we have ruled out the following.

Residual power has been removed.

The Memory is seated correctly and not faulty.

The motherboard works, else it would remain running (even with no picture you would still hear the fans)

The Backlight is not at fault.

The power supply attempts to step up the Voltage in order to start the components (screen, processor, hard drive ect) and this is when it shorts out. It will likely be a damaged capacitor.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the Laptop to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if still valid, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

Your data is also ok, and will be available once the Laptop is working again.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what could cause a damaged capacitor?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It can be a faulty component at the time of manufacturing and over time, through use, it fails quicker then planned.

Water or moisture damage.

Overheating (due to heat or dust buildup in the Laptop)

A hard knock or drop to the Laptop.

These are the common reasons for it to fail Rick.

Feel free to ask if you would like any additional information please.

Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry