Hunter Owens
Hunter Owens, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Your problem meets my passion. A Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist.
20422294

I have used Windows Fax and scan, for scanning and forwarding

I have used Windows Fax and scan, for scanning and forwarding as email, very successfully until now. The window now is coming up with "Preview cannot be displayed for selected file type" and consequently won't scan. Please can you help me?

Hunter Owens :

It will be my pleasure to assist you with your computer today.

Hunter Owens :

You are running Windows 7, correct?

Customer:

yes

Hunter Owens :

Thanks. Please wait a few minutes while I look into your particular issue.

Customer:

Thankyou

Hunter Owens :

Do you happen to know if you are faxing or scanning an image that is saved as a .tif file?

Customer:

Sorry no I don't, I'm not particularly computer savvy!

Customer:

My scan profile shows Documents(Default) file type .jpg Is that of any help?

Hunter Owens :

That does, thanks.

Hunter Owens :

So you don't need to do the above steps yet.

Hunter Owens :

Let's try resetting the .JPG extension. Click here and save the .zip file to your computer. When the download is done, open it and you should see an option to 'Extract All Files.' Then you will see a file called jpg_file_association_fix_win7.reg. Right-click on it and select Merge. Click Yes/OK/Allow if prompted.

Customer:

I'm not sure if I have got this right as saving to my documents?

Hunter Owens :

Saving to your My Documents folder is fine, as long as you're able to then find the .zip file download. You should either be able to click on Open after the download is complete or click on Start, Documents, and find the download through there.

Customer:

Scary but done

Hunter Owens :

Through the final step where you clicked on Merge?

Customer:

I R) clicked merge then allow and yes

Hunter Owens :

Great. It definitely can be scary the first time.

Hunter Owens :

So try using Windows Fax and Scan again now and let's see if we get the same error message.

Customer:

Unfortunately, no. Sounded like scanner was working but a window came up saying there was a problem and the another said unable to scan. When the new scan window comes up I can get a preview of the document at that stage but that is it!

Hunter Owens :

When you click on New Scan and then get the pop-up window, can you try setting the File Type to PNG and then clicking Scan?

Customer:

There is nothing in the actual fax and scan window, not even the same message I said in the beginning.

Hunter Owens :

Can you try exiting the program and re-opening it?

Customer:

I have got preview cannot be displayed again, when I changed to scan. I have changed file type to PNG. Exactly the same when I try to scan.

Hunter Owens :

Thanks for your patience. Please exit Windows Fax and Scan and then try the following.

1. Press the Windows Key (lower-left area of keyboard) and R at the same time.
2. In the Run command prompt that appears, type or copy/paste regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
3. Click OK in the Run command prompt.

Hunter Owens :

Make sure to have the space between regsvr32 and shimgvw.dll

Customer:

The module shimgvw was loaded but the dll was not found Sorry I am so slow with all this.

Hunter Owens :

No worries.

Hunter Owens :

Did your scanner/fax come with any of its own software?

Customer:

Yes it came with a disc, it is only a printer scanner no fax. I did check the disc and couldn't make much sense of that.

Hunter Owens :

Okay. Thank you for your patience in working through this issue.

Hunter Owens :

Unfortunately, as I've been unable to provide you with a solution, I'll opt-out so that another expert with more expertise in this area can continue to assist you.

Customer:

I need to thank you, XXXXX XXXXX probably have the problem solved working on the actual computer and not through me!

Hunter Owens :

You are very kind!

Customer:

I really appreciate you patience and will take my computer to a technician. Where are you, In NZ or elsewhere?

Hunter Owens :

I'm far away over in Hawaii, United States.

Hunter Owens :

But computers tend to generally be a universal language fortunately.

Customer:

WOW, amazing computers and what we can do. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX next problem will be easier to solve Cheers Aileen

Hunter Owens :

Thank you!