Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

After using a disasterous register cleaner: to the tune of

After using a disasterous register cleaner: to the tune of $39.94 to Geek Tech tool kit to clean my registry; it swept all of my Lenovo access icons off my desktop with the exception of the Lenovo Software icon (which I do not use), now am left with no access to my Lenovo System Recovery, should I need it quickly.
After using it I reported this to GeekTechTool Kit.com...they told me that I probably had a virus running in my PC.
I told them that I had been running Webroot for the past 18 mos. and had upgraded early
this year to Webroots Secure Anywhere 2013 and ran manuals 2 and 3 times daily depending on internet time. They emailed me back telling me that I still needed to dwn.load and run ComboFix from the link they sent in the email; bleepingcomputer.com/
download/antivirus/combofix. Well, It removed my Enternet Explorer desk icon; which
was no problem to recover, however I do desperately need my system shortcut links restored and do not know how to do that...hopefully you can help me.
Any and all help appreciated,
Ah beenTaken in Texas
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

I am very sorry to hear this happened and I am not sure why they told you to run combo fix as it sounds like their registry cleaner caused the issue and not a virus.

Which version of windows are you using, is it windows xp, vista, 7, or maybe 8?

Please let me know so I can further assist.

Thank You
-Chris
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Windows 7

Thanks.

I think the most logical first step would be to run a system restore to a time before you ran the registry cleaner.

Windows system restore can restore an older version of your registry and system files which may have been damaged, it does not touch your personal files like emails or photos.

Open System Restore by clicking the Start button and browse to
All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore

Follow the steps in the wizard to choose a restore point that is before when the problem started. If you only see one restore point make sure you choose to show more restore points on the bottom left of the box.

If you need further help or this does not resolve your issue please do not hesitate to reply and let me know.

Thank You
-Chris
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will have to close here and exit the net before I want

to open my PC, and also need to know about any charges to me for this information?

I have tagged this page and will return to rate the answer when I see if it works.

Thank you for your instructs.

Glenda

Glenda,

It should say the charged on the top of this question page, it doesn't show up on my end.

Also you should have a link back to this page in your email.

I will be here if you need more help.

Thanks,
Chris