Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors

I have an old Garmin GPS, the map is outdated and everytime

I have an old Garmin GPS, the map is outdated and everytime I use it in a "new" location, it takes forever for it to get the sattelite signal. If I update the map, will it work pretty much like a new device? Or are there other issues of an old device that will still make it very slow?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Michelle :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be assisting you today.

Michelle :

what is the model number of the garmin

Customer:

Oh, I don't have it with me, but I think it's something like nuvi 5xx

Michelle :

you can download garmin map updater to update the old map data from this link

Michelle :

one more link to the direct download

Michelle :

connect the device to your computer and open this link and start the download to update the map.

Michelle :

run the updater it will update all the softwares and features which the garmin has.

Customer:

I am wondering whether updating map will resolve the issue of very slow receiving saterlite signal? I am debating whether to buy a new map or a new device

Michelle :

you dont have to buy new map the update should do the job and will speed up the search as well.

Michelle :

incase you find the search is still slow after you download and run the update you can post me a message and i will be happy to answer you.

Michelle :

is there any thing else i can answer for you.

Michelle :

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.

Customer:

Do you mean I don't have to buy new device, the map update will speed up the locating of the satelite? Garmin charges for updating maps.

Michelle :

you dont have to buy a new garmin the updates will speedup the device is slow because no new entries can be located or searched as per the gps location hence the device gets slow on a search mode after updating the map the locations will be more faster in search.

Customer:

Great, thank you.

Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors