Joshua C.
Joshua C., PC Technician
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician with over 10 years of experience.
18519760

make a site that runs itself

I am using fatcow to make a wordpress site, but i just came across 1&1.com. And then i think i also signed up with Greengeeks and gatorguru or something like that.. i am getting very mixed up especially since i have something along the line of ADD...so i am terribly disorganized. I am better as an illustrator and that is where i will focus after i finish this non profit project for someone and create a few advocacy health sites i am interested in owning.... But do any of these sites do everything where i don't have to? I mean i will design the look of the sites and decide what i want, but someone else puts them together in a way that they run themselves except if i want to ad text or edit text. Will any host or service manage and make it circulate on the internet somehow? Or is this area getting fine tuned as we speak? Sites that don't make income end up having to be paid for by the owner and some people just have them for hobbies which is what i want to do with a few i create. AS i think it is as such for the majority of the population that has something to say... SO everyone wants the same thing? A site that runs itself if it does not make profit i assume.

Joshua C. : Customer1&1 hosting is a website that assists in creating website for a higher cost of just hosting a wordpress website
Joshua C. :

I would stick with Fatcow (your domain and website host)

Joshua C. :

And keep using WordPress

Joshua C. :

If you would like a custom theme I would suggest buying one at http://themeforest.com

Joshua C. :

The themes listed on themeforest have special addons and different looks than the ones available for free

Joshua C. :

And the cost of buying a theme is less than hosting with 1&1 for half a year

Customer:

I will do that once i have the basics sorted out such as how many navigation pages or none at all and just have the contents written on a slideshow... I also have an urge to use my artwork in the background which i have, but half of it got chopped off...So i figure i will at least play around with themes for a while to get familiar with the lingo...

Customer:

i barely know what a header and footer are.....

Joshua C. :

That is why I was linking to documentation so you could learn the basics and what it takes to code these pages

Customer:

I think i should at least know how things are set up in case i do in fact have a good idea fora health blog and people end up contacting me....

Joshua C. :

so in the long run once you know the code you can focus on developing just the art

Customer:

yes thank you... i peaked at some....a little at a time....

Joshua C. :

But based on what you want to do I would just pick a theme and then use a plugin to get the gallery showing correctly

Joshua C. :

and then build from there

Joshua C. :

If you decide to switch themes your content will still be there it will just change to match the new theme

Customer:

So are you saying that i should pay for one on forest and it will have all the right items from the start?

Customer:

The content is still not even figured out yet.....

Joshua C. :

Im saying use the default theme

Joshua C. :

Maybe put in a gallery

Joshua C. :

but get a basic website up and some content

Joshua C. :

and then design a theme

Joshua C. :

or buy a theme

Joshua C. :

something that matches the content you haven't yet thought up

Customer:

Default in wordpress?

Customer:

the light grey page that says HELLO WORLD?

Joshua C. :

The default theme in wordpress is twentytwelve

Joshua C. :

Its grey and boring

Joshua C. :

however every post you make gives it more content

Customer:

i got the grey part right... but yes i remember now

Joshua C. :

and will start to make you consider what the look and feel you want of the website

Joshua C. :

If you already know what you want I suggest going to themeforest.com

Joshua C. :

and look at the wordpress themes for one that matches the look you want

Customer:

But i don't need a post... it will be a fixed site that won't change.

Joshua C. :

Do you have the content created that isnt going to change?

Joshua C. :

If you do then its up to you to find a theme or design one

Joshua C. :

If you dont then create the content first before the website look

Joshua C. :

is what I am getting at

Customer:

this particular one i need might change as far as look until my friend is satisfied but he doesn't know what he wants...but the content is almost done and is getting tweaked now and then as we see it uploaded

Customer:

i wanted to show him differnt looks and my intuition says a slideshow might work best...

Customer:

But with text inside

Customer:

a fast slideshow

Customer:

I saw a tutorial about how to add slideshow into wordpress but it is added into responsive theme.... Is responsive a better theme to use than Twenty Twelve? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W3GLGWbZ38

Joshua C. :

Responsive is fine also

Joshua C. :

if that is the look you want

Customer:

I had responsive created by someone that was tutoring me and i did not pay the renewal and it is gone.....It was a missunderstanding

Customer:

So i have to create it all over again.

Customer:

I think it was responsive because it looked like it.

Customer:

But i don't think i want it anymore....and i can always try to create it again. But at the moment i want to keep it simpler and fixed not like a blog but a website.

Customer:

Website with the message in a slideshow that the user does not have to click on anything. And that has a fundraiser bumper sticker to sell and a calculator about idling. I think you gave me a list of calculators once upon a time last year...not sure. but it wasn't for idling personal automobiles. That will be another question...

Customer:

error; for personal cars NOT fleets

Joshua C. :

If the responsive theme I linked to looks like something you could use I would say try it

Joshua C. :

http://wordpress.org/themes/responsive

Joshua C. :

If not I would check the wordpress themes for one that fits what you want, if you cant find one for free check themeforest.com

Joshua C. :

If it needs a slideshow use the plugins I linked to

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I see one of the sites i have looks like the responsive one but i can't seem to see where the name responsive is in the dashboard anywhere. How can i tell if it is responsive theme? Where do i look?

You look under Appearance -> Themes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi,, in regards XXXXX XXXXX themes... Is Twenty Eleven Responsive now? It did not load as a grey and boring site as you mentioned above.. It is quite 70's hippy looking,,,,,,Also in regards XXXXX XXXXX sites....I have looked at Modernization and Pro slider and Zenon and i realize that the images that i load into the slider don't really display properly on my iphone....the slider image is cut in half when i turn my iphone horizontally.... So does that mean it is a flaw in the responsive ness of the theme? Is there any drag and drop east web building site that i can describe what i want and a drag and drop site is easy to choose for myself with all the features i want?.Since responsive isn;t really that responsive