Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

This is for an IT lawyer if possible...in a lawsuit, I

This is for an IT lawyer if possible...

in a lawsuit, I am claiming that Verizon had a duty to protect its clients from obvious threats from commercially available spyware. In this case, the messages were sent form my computer, received in another state, then instantly re-routed to the spyware companies servers in a third state. I am arguing that such methods, particularly because they went on for months, should have been easily discovered by the telecom. My question is this; what kind of security or lack thereof would that point to? For example, a negligent oversight of the ______ security protocol? If you have any experience in this particular specialty, please let me know what lack of basic security protection for the customer would this point to? I am not worried whether it will be successful as an allegation, only to the lack of security measures that it points to. thank you
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your Question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Before I can answer this, I need to know what type of messages these were?

Were they emails? and from which email service provider please?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes private emails and instant messages sent and received over verizon's broadband lines. I have since found that all telecom providers do have this ability to monitor their lines. IN fact the 1994 law, CALEA demands they have such abilities. Not to prevent such intercepts, but to allow law enforcement to do so. But if you know of anymore technical terms for such a system of braodband line management, I could still use that. thank you

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the can monitor the lines, but they are not able to read the email data as it is done over SSL. Nor would they attempt to.

In effect, unless your internet connection was not working (which is Verizons responsibility), then the duty of care reset with the Email Provider, as they are providing the service.

Verizon have no access to the email service, and can not check or secure it, it is whooly with the Email Service Provider you are using.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, i am not including verizon in the lawsuit for the intercepts, I am only claiming that they had to have detected the ongoing pattern of intercepts that lasted over a period of months. Knowing such, they did not warn their client, who counted on their system being safe. It was made unsafe because of CALEA's requirement that the system be made vulnerable for government intercept mechanisms. Its part of my year long ongoing federal lawsuit that claims negligence on the part of private companys, over matters they are well equipped to handle.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I can only give you the technical reasoning of how it worked.

Nothing to do with the strict legality of it.

If you wish for a more Legally orientated input, as opposed to a technical one which I provided, please let me know and I will move this question to the Lawyers.

Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry