Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  CISCO certified, Microsoft proficient, computing expert.

I have set up a project which has costs associated with every

I have set up a project which has costs associated with every task.
How do I export that data as a monthly cahflow into excel so that I can manipulate it/
Category: Computer
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

What program are you trying to export the data from?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I should have said - I have been getting so frustrated about the intransigence of MS Project 2010.

So, what I am trying to do is export a cashflow from Project to Excel.

The excel columns I want are:

Task Name : Start Date : Finish Date: Cost : and then a cashflow by month

I don't want resources or anything else cluttering up my spreadsheet

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Max,

Yes, you can export from MS Project 2010 to Excel.

To do this, open the project and go to File/Save As and select "Save as type": Excel Workbook(*xlsx).
Click the Save button to bring up the Export wizard. For Format, chose "Select data".
Click Next and select "New map"
Click Next and select "Tasks"
Click Next. The export filter should say: "All Tasks".
Create the map your required Project fields, e.g. Name, Duration, Start, Finish, etc. The Excel equivalents should say: Name, Duration, Start_Date, Finish_Date. etc. You should see a preview of the mapping in the lower part of the Task Mapping window.
Click "Finish".
Go to the save location and open the exported Excel workbook.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Peter

This does not provide me with a monthly cashflow, only the various fields I select.

I am looking to export the cashflow you can see when you do the following in MS Project

- click on the task usage button in the bottom right corner of the MS Project window

- right click and select costs

If I could export this without the resources appearing in the task name column I would be happy

Thanks

Max

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Max,
Have you tried the Cash Flow Visual report in MS Project? Select Report > Visual Reports. Then select the Task Usage tab.

The Cash Flow Visual report will allow you to export data to Excel as a pivot table. Set Task to Row, Calendar to Column and Cost to Data.

That should help achieve your objective of exporting the costs to Excel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Peter

I tried that and ended up with a graph, rather than a spreadsheet.

Where do you "set the task to Row, Calendar to Column, and Cost to Data"?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
You should see these options when you select to export the visual report to Excel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry

I must be thick but nowhere in the Visual Report - Create Report window is there a facility to set the items as you say.

Where do I find them?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I am mobile at the moment, will check when I get back to the office.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Peter

I appreciate your assistance.

I am really perplexed why this is not a straightforward thing to do.

Max

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi again Max,

These items are set within the Export Wizard.

Try the following:

• Click the File tab, and then click Save As.
  • In the Save As type box, select Excel Workbook(*xlsx).
  • In the File name box, type a name for the exported file.
  • Click Save.
  • Follow the instructions in the Export Wizard to export the data that you want into the proper fields of the destination file.
  • When the wizard prompts you to create a new map or use an existing one, click New map to create a new export map from scratch.
  • On the Task Mapping page of the Export Wizard, create a new map:
  • To insert a new field above another field, click a field in the From column, and then click Insert Row. Set Task to Row, Calendar to Column and Cost to Data.

On the last page of the Export Wizard, click Finish to export the data to Excel.

Pete, Computer Engineer
    Experience: CISCO certified, Microsoft proficient, computing expert.
    Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I have done that

I have selected the fields, Name, Start, Finish, Cost

In the preview pane I can see this, but no calendarised cahsflow.

You say to " Set Task to Row, Calendar to Column, and Cost to Data".

I do not see anywhere on the task mapping window where you can do this

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Max,

Do you see an option in the Export Wizard to set the row, column, and data?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No
    But fiddling around with the pivot table , which is in the second sheet provides what I want.
    A very clumsy process I have to say.
    Thanks for your help
    Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
    Glad to hear you got it.
    It is definitely not the easiest way to export.
    Hopefully Microsoft comes up with a better version soon.
    Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have been using project, amateurishly, for over ten years and it always has been a case of, "maybe in the next version".

Thanks again

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
    You're welcome!