Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.

Where to get a good free software for unzipping the common

Where to get a good free software for unzipping the common compressed files such as .zip, especially .rar files?

Hello Joe! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

A good free program is the Winrar (use only the free version; no need to upgrade):

If you do not like that program, another good free program is 7-zip:

Please let me know if you have any further question or if there is any issue. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I have a portable HD, how to setup password to prevent others to get access to the data in it. I did not do this when bought it with the software that came with it, now lost the track of the software. The disk was formatted with Windows system.

I'm sorry. Can you please submit a new question at the website below since this is a new issue? Also, there, let me know the brand and model of your portable HD drive.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is a SeaGate/GoFlex.

Please download and install the GoFlex software at the website below:

Thank you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have lots of stuff saved in the disk, will it matter? I don't want to loose anything when installing the new software.

It should not, but if you can, copy your stuff from the disk to another disk or computer, just to make sure. And/or when installing/using the drive, if it asks you to format/wipe out/delete, etc. your data, then don't continue. Thank you