Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Where on my computer did MSN Premium download my e-mail correspondence

Customer Question

Where on my computer did MSN Premium download my e-mail correspondence which I chose to store on "My computer"? I have Windows 7. Thanks
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Michelle :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.
i am sorry to hear that you are facing this issue, but do not worry, i will try my best in assisting you to diagnose the problem

Michelle :

please follow below steps

Michelle :

Click on Start ...in search box Type %userprofile% . open your user prfile..Open Local Settings. Open Application Data... Open Microsoft.... Open MSN... Inside MSN is a hidden folder named db30 or db and inside it will be a system folder that is named after your e-mail address. That contains your local e-mail.

Michelle :

these mails are saved in the msn mail format which you will be able to read in msn

Michelle :

let me know if you face any difficulty or have any questions

Michelle :

if the above information was not helpful and you are still facing an issue just let me know and i will assist you further

Michelle :

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If not, instead of rating please let me know so I can continue to help you. Thank you.

Customer :

Do I have to type all of the above or just %userprofile% ? I did that (just %userprofile%!!!)and did not find any folder named 'open your user prfile'. Also, will I be able to read the files without subscribing to MSN Premium again? They have not been helpful at all and I do not want to subscribe to their service again, but need access to my files. Thanks

Michelle :

ok

Michelle :

give me a moment

Michelle :

click start..search..type *.sdf

Customer :

and then the rest you recommendet?

Michelle :

let me know if anything comes up in search results

Customer :

No items match my search

Michelle :

ok

Customer :

Would you mind typing the part that I am supposed to type in bold? This would make it easier. Thanks

Michelle :

yes sure

Michelle :

right now do you have msn premium still active or you have unsubscribed from it

Customer :

It expired. They are not helpful and have not responded

Michelle :

ok...usually when you save the files a folder location is selected

Michelle :

do you remeber setting any folder

Customer :

It was never mentioned in which folder on my computer these "Save on my Computer" files were sent.

Michelle :

open the below

Michelle :

C:\Documents and Settings\ [user name] \My Documents

Michelle :

once in my documents folder..click on tools menu..folder options..select show hidden files\folders

Michelle :

check if the emails show up

Michelle :

or a msn folder shows up

Customer :

nothing comes up. Where exactly do you want me to type the above? Does it go into the same search window on the start button or somewhere else?

Michelle :

click start..computer

Michelle :

c drive

Michelle :

documents and setings

Michelle :

then folder by your user name

Michelle :

then my docs

Customer :

there is no 'documents and settings' folder

Michelle :

would it be fine if i take a remote access and try searching myself

Customer :

I am not sure I would like that. Any other ideas?

Michelle :

see basically once msn premium expires what changes is the storage capacity and mail volume

Michelle :

you still can access the mails saved on msn server

Michelle :

but for mails saved on computer through msn premium, those mails would not open as they get save din a format readable only through msn premium

Customer :

but according to MSN I had a choice of saving certain e-mails on my computer, which I did. Being confident to have constantly access to them. They have not responded to my e-mails and the phone service is not helpful either. There is no way for me to getting to my e-mails, which were legal documents. This is the reason I approached you.

Michelle :

yes i understand....give me one moment please..i am checking for options

Michelle :

in the meanwhile click start..search..type db30 and let me know if anything comes up

Customer :

I tried this before I contacted you and nothing comes up

Michelle :

try this

Michelle :

click start..computer..c: drive..navigate as per below path

Michelle :

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Storage folder

Michelle :

let me know if you are able to do so

Customer :

nothing comes up

Customer :

Am I typing all of the above still in the window after clicking on the 'start' button?

Michelle :

no

Michelle :

you need to navigate to these folders

Customer :

where then

Customer :

how

Michelle :

by clicking on them

Michelle :

click start..

Michelle :

click computer

Michelle :

clcik c drive

Michelle :

click users

Customer :

would you mind letting me talk to another technician?

Michelle :

click on your username

Customer :

Would you mind letting me talk to someone else?

Michelle :

yes sure

Michelle :

i was about to opt out myself as you are not doing the steps i am suggesting and even a remote access session cannot be done

Michelle :

i will opt out and let other review

Michelle :

thanks for your patience

Customer :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX please let someone else continue? I have seen communication problems in our conversation you not answering my questions

Michelle :

i have opted out and my fellow experts will contact you..i am sorry if my messages did not get through as there is some issue with the chat session

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
Hello

My name is James

Can I remote onto your Machine and have a look at your problem

Remote means i can see your issue and fix this for you

Its fully Secure and Built into the System and you can see what i am doing at all times

If you wish i can send you the details to connect

Cheers James
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

James, I appreciate you offering to help. I have renewed my MSN contract in the meantime, since I figured that was the only way to solve this problem. I would appreciate you reimbursing me for the $48 I paid for your service. Michelle did not efficiantly respond to my questions, as to where to type the suggestions she made, for example. Her instructions were not clear.I was unhappy with her way of approaching the problem. She needs to learn to ask more questions about the other person's abilities to navigate through the computer. I am not an expert, as you can see from the conversation above, but was looking for an experienced person helping me solve a problem. This didn't happen. Thanks

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
Not a Problem Cheers James