matthewgill
matthewgill, Computer Scientist
Experience:  I have a BS in Computer Science, an MS in Integrated Science & Technology, as well as prior military experience.

How hard is to prove someone made a copy of an external HD

How hard is to prove someone made a copy of an external HD?
Category: Computer
Expert:  matthewgill replied 1 year ago.

matthewgill :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today

matthewgill :

Could you please elaborate on the situation?

JACUSTOMER-it2u2enm- : Someone at my job made a copy of my external HD? How can I prove it?
matthewgill :

Is your computer using a Windows OS?

JACUSTOMER-it2u2enm- : Windows XP
matthewgill :

Alright, before I start the explanation, there is no way to verify that the files were copied from here-to-there. The OS doesn't really keep logs like that natively. That being said, there is a way of checking the last accessed date of files and folders.

matthewgill :

Get to the drive in-question, and right-click on whitespace within the folder

matthewgill :

Click View>Details

matthewgill :

Right-Click on the 'Name' column name, and then click on 'More'

matthewgill :

Check 'Date Accessed' and then click OK

matthewgill :

You may now scroll left or right to see the Date Accessed for folders and files

matthewgill :

Other than that, there are programs by sysinternals that can log copy and paste events, but they must be installed prior to the action in order to work

matthewgill :

Hello. I'm just checking in, if you have any further questions I am ready to assist. Otherwise, please leave an appropriate rating and feedback regarding my handling of this question. Thank you!

matthewgill :

Hello. This questions remains open. If I have answered your question to your satisfaction please leave appropriate feedback. Thank you and have a great day.

Customer: That answer my question!! Thank you so much!
matthewgill, Computer Scientist
Experience: I have a BS in Computer Science, an MS in Integrated Science & Technology, as well as prior military experience.