matthewgill, Computer Scientist
Experience:  I have a BS in Computer Science, an MS in Integrated Science & Technology, as well as prior military experience.

How do I determine which ISP can provide me with the fastest

How do I determine which ISP can provide me with the fastest broadband?

matthewgill :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I hope to assist you today

matthewgill :

What part of the UK do you reside?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Near Oxford. Post code is OX29 8HP.

Awesome. There are a few key attributes to choosing an ISP. Namely, bandwidth, throughput, and consistency. Bandwidth is the maximum speed you pay for, throughput is the actual transfer speed you achieve, and consistency is the average continuous service uptime.

I was hoping Virgin Media was in your area, but it looks like that particular postal code is out of their range. They had excellent speeds, and service to boot! Anyway, here is a list of reputable ISPs that will service your area:

Click 'See all broadband and phone deals in OX29 8HP' to get the full list.

In my experience, you want to steer clear of super low speeds and transfer limits. Unless you aren't going to use the service much for movies, gaming, streaming, or downloading, only consider 'unlimited' services.

The link above looks like the best in my opinion, however, also looks great. Just be sure to ask about contract limits and obligations.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you know if any of the ISPs, including BT's "Unlimited BT Infinity 2" plan, provide a fibre connection to where I live? How can I find out?

I don't believe fiber optic is available in your area. The speeds listed are indicative of a DSL or basic cable line. Potentially, fiber optic is run to a hub, then a telephone line is run to you, resulting in you getting a max of ~16 Mbps.

This site, ( confirms that no fiber optic connection is available to you. That being said, you may be able to call and speak with someone at the ISP in question, to get more information on the possibility of running fiber optic. Its a long-shot, but if they already have plans to run a line your way, you wouldn't want to get a contract for DSL or cable then have to switch.