Freddy M.
Freddy M., Support Specialist
Experience:  Years of experience in the IT field and in customer support.
15852642

Can a totally smashed aser aspire computer,I mean over the

Can a totally smashed aser aspire computer,I mean over the head smashed 5 to 6 times be salvaged to get important info out?
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
The computer itself almost definitely No it can not be fixed, as for the data on it that would depend on the state of the hard drive and what you are trying to get off of it.
Was the internal hard drive damaged?
What type of data are you trying to retrieve?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The hard drive looks ok, I opened the case and it looks to be all intact I need to get banking info and anything else I can salvage
.
Ok if anything can be salvaged at all you can use a external enclosure to look for the files on the drive.
You can get one from any local computer shop or from here: Click Here
If you get one from a shop most acer aspires use a SATA drive so make sure the enclosure is SATA and not IDE.

It will turn your hard drive into an external hard drive.
So windows will not boot but you will be able to look at the files that are on it and move them (only if the hard drive was not damaged).

Unfortunately if any moving parts inside the hard drive got damaged this will not work.
I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX could tell you differently but want to make sure I am honest and accurate with the information I give you.

If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know.

If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.

.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sounds fairly easy to do but would I be better off taking it to a local computer repair shop?
.
You can do this yourself and with damage like what you posted most wont work on the computer.
If you take the hard drive out and then bring it to them they will normally create discs of the files on it.

However it usually costs 3-4x as much as buying the enclosure if you were to do it yourself and since it may have been damaged I do not suggest a technician.
Using the enclosure is pretty simple, here are the steps.

1. Remove the hard drive from the acer.
2. Insert the hard drive into the enclosure until it snaps into place.
3. Connect the usb cable from the enclosure to a computer.
4. In the start menu under computer you will see a new hard drive open it and you will be able to view the files on the drive.

Unfortunately as I mentioned if the hard drives internal parts were damaged this will not work.
What will happens is it will give an error on step 4, force you to format and erase the drive, or simply will not show up under computer.

.